All business majors (except BSBA Online) must complete an internship and complete the relevant coursework or study abroad in order to graduate.
Ideally, students will complete and fulfill the internship requirement prior to their senior year. In conjunction with their internship, students will need to complete GEB4941 or MAR4945 in order to fulfill the internship requirement. Both courses are offered in the summer, fall, and spring. All students must enroll in one of these courses while on-site completing their internship; internship credit will not be awarded retroactively after a student completes their internship.
Want to learn more about the required internship course, GEB 4941, and the course registration process? Visit the GEB 4941 website. If you still have questions about enrolling in the required internship course, contact the internship course coordinators.
- Establish your profile on HIREWarrington for exclusive business student internships and full-time positions.
- Find out more about opportunities for developing professional and leadership skills.
- Find out how interning abroad equips students with skills necessary to compete in today’s globalized marketplace
- Visit the Miller Center for Retailing in Stuzin 100 to learn more about the retailing internship program.
Tips for Finding Internships
- Sign up for HIREWarrington to access internship postings and research companies.
- Research companies you would like to work for on the Internet and pursue an internship with them.
- Go to CRC employer information sessions to meet with on-campus recruiters.
- Interview with internship recruiters at Career Showcase.
- Get involved with business student organizations that host internship recruiters.
- Consider interning during the Fall or Spring semester. They are less competitive than Summer internships.
- Consider an internship in retailing, which counts towards completion of the retailing leadership minor!
- Make an appointment with International Programs to learn out about international internship programs.
The internship requirement can be waived for students who participate in a study abroad experience of at least six weeks; however, students who waive the requirement via study abroad are strongly encouraged to complete at least one internship prior to graduation. MAR 4945, the retail internship, will also satisfy the internship requirement.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the internship requirement?
Business majors who started at UF Summer B 2009 or later are required to enroll in GEB 4941 – Internship in Business Administration (one credit) and complete an internship of at least 150 hours before the start of their senior year. MAR 4945, the retail internship, will also satisfy the internship requirement. The internship requirement can be waived for students who participate in a study abroad experience of at least six weeks; however, students who waive the requirement via study abroad are strongly encouraged to complete at least one internship to improve their chances of obtaining full-time employment and/or admission to graduate programs or law school.
- Is an internship required for my degree?
If you started at UF Summer B 2009 or later, the answer is yes (unless you complete a six week or longer study abroad experience). If you started UF prior to Summer B 2009, the answer is no; however, the Heavener School of Business strongly encourages all students to complete at least one internship experience.
- How can I find an internship?
Contact International Programs to discuss international internship programs.
- Can I take a course away from UF as a transient or non-degree seeking student and be enrolled in the Internship Course, GEB 4941 during the same semester?
GEB 4941 and MAR 4945 Internship Credit & Transient Coursework: Although it is not permitted for students to dual enroll at UF and a non-UF institution at the same time (i.e., enrolling in any UF course while simultaneously enrolling at a community or state college), there is one exception. Students can take GEB 4941 internship credit concurrently while enrolling at a non-UF institution.
Example: Mark can enroll in GEB 4941 (1-4 credits) and take ACG 2021 at Brevard Community college at the same time.