Graduating students are encouraged to participate in commencement exercises. Your family and friends are welcome to join us in celebrating your accomplishments. Commencement exercises are free and open to the public; tickets or reservations are not required.
Additional information regarding commencement can be located at the UF’s Commencement website including ceremony schedule, instructions and guest information.
Please be aware of a recent change of policy with the Stephen C. O’Connell Center. It is now standard procedure for all events in that venue, including commencements, that all attendees will walk through a metal detector, and bags will be searched. If you have any questions about whether specific items are allowed in the building, please see the metal detector screening information provided by the O’Connell Center. If you have specific questions beyond what the website provides, please call this number: 352-392-5500.
Warrington Summer 2018 Commencement
The Heavener School of Business and Fisher School of Accounting commencement ceremony will take place on Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 10 am in the Exactech Arena at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center.
- 8:30 AM: Students arrive dressed in cap and gown; guests begin arriving
- 9:30 AM: Processional begins (All guests should be seated.)
- 10:00 AM: Ceremony begins
- 12:00 PM: Ceremony ends
Allow additional time for cap and gown return, pictures, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What do I need to do to graduate?
In addition to fulfilling all of your degree requirements, business majors must see an academic advisor in 333 Heavener Hall for a graduation check at least one semester prior to graduation. You must also complete the online degree application on ONE.UF by the published deadline.
- Where can I find information on the commencement ceremony, ordering a cap and gown, etc.?
Commencement information, including the date/time, location, ordering regalia, and seating information, can be found on UF’s Commencement. This website may be helpful to family and friends who are planning to attend your graduation.
- Can I participate in the spring commencement ceremony if I haven't finished all of my degree requirements?
If you will complete all of your degree requirements by the end of the following Summer A term (not Summer C), you CAN participate in the spring commencement ceremony. If you want to participate in the spring ceremony, register for your final courses for Summer A, and then see a Heavener advisor in 333 Heavener Hall for a graduation check. If your academic advisor verifies that you will meet all graduation requirements by the end of Summer A, he or she will provide you with a memo that gives you consent to participate in the ceremony. Note that your name will NOT appear in the spring commencement program; it will appear in the summer program. In addition, you will not be able to purchase honor cords until the summer ceremony in August.
- When will I receive my diploma?
Diplomas are mailed to your permanent address, approximately eight weeks after commencement. To insure the receipt of your diploma, you should verify that the address on your myUFL account is correct.
- What will happen if my grade change form or my study abroad transcript is not posted to my student record by the last day of exams in the term that I am graduating?
To graduate in the current term, all transcripts and grade changes must be posted to your academic record within 30 days after commencement. If your grade change or study abroad transcript was not posted by the last day of exams, but is posted within the 30 day window, you must contact Heavener and ask to be reinstated to graduate this term. If you still have an outstanding transcript or grade change after the 30 day window, you must re-apply to graduate the following term.
- I thought I was going to graduate this semester, but I just realized I'm going to fail a required course. My family has already made travel plans to attend my graduation ceremony. What can I do?
If you applied to graduate on time, you will still be able to pick up your regalia, walk in the ceremony and have your name listed in the commencement program. However, you will not officially graduate or receive a diploma until the course is completed. You should plan to complete the required course the following semester.
- Where do I get my honors cords and how soon can I get them?
Honors cords can be purchased at the UF Bookstore when you pick up your regalia the week before commencement.
- I tried to purchase my honor cord(s) from the UF Bookstore, but the bookstore staff said their records do not show an honors designation for me. How can I verify my honors designation?
Business majors should contact an advisor in 333 Heavener Hall for assistance in determining their honors designation. If a change of designation is appropriate, the advisor will notify the Office of the University Registrar in writing, and then the Registrar will update your record. At that point, you can purchase your honor cord(s) from the UF Bookstore.
- If my honors status changes, what should I do?
If your honors status changes, you can purchase the appropriate honors cords at the UF Bookstore. Cords can be returned for a refund, but no later than 5:00 p.m. on the day before commencement.