"Internships have become key in today's economy," says Melissa Benca, director of career services at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. "Graduating students with paid or unpaid internships on their résumé have a much better chance at landing a full-time position upon graduation. Students are doing internships as undergraduates, and it is now not unusual for recent grads to take an unpaid internship with hopes of turning it into a permanent position or at least making some contacts and building their résumé." – Beth Hering, Career Builder.com (Article: ‘Why are Internships so Important’)
Tips for Finding Internships
- The best source for internships is often your parents, parents' friends, or friends' parents.
- Sign up for Gator CareerLink to access internship postings and research companies.
- Research companies you would like to work for on the Internet and pursue an internship with them.
- Go to CRC employer information sessions to meet with on-campus recruiters.
- Interview with internship recruiters at Career Showcase.
- Get involved with business student organizations that host internship recruiters.
- Consider interning during the Fall or Spring semester. They are less competitive than Summer internships.
*The internship requirement can be waived for students who participate in a study abroad experience of at least six weeks; however, students who waive the requirement via study abroad are strongly encouraged to complete at least one internship prior to graduation.
Need help getting started on the internship process? If so, contact your academic advisor/career coach and CAP mentor.
- School of Business Academic Advisors and Career Coaches
- Career and Academic Peer Mentor Program
- Read the Archived E-Newsletter for Undergraduate Business Majors for internship postings.
- Consider interning at a non-profit organization
- Check out the School of Business' career development webpage and career development videos about developing professional skills, building your network, and exploring careers
- Internship registration information for International Students