Analyzing Utility Finances in Times of Crisis Live!
Zoom-based Capacity Building for Utility Regulators, Policy Makers, and Infrastructure Professionals
Virtual Course Live! begins Monday, May 24, 2021
Online via Zoom – participants will meet from 9:00am – 11:30am eastern daylight time for a total of 5 days
How can utilities survive a financial crisis, such as the COVID-19 pandemic? That is the most frequently asked question during our Next Practices Live discussions series. How do you decide what is right for your situation?
Analyzing Utility Finances in Times of Crisis LIVE! was developed to help YOU project impacts, analyze business and policy options, and track key indicators over time.
Dr. Ted Kury will lead this Zoom-based capacity building effort. He and up to 30 participants will work together live and online on how to project impacts of a crisis and policy responses. This intensive program will cover:
- Session 1 – Crisis Analysis
- Case study of a utility during crisis
- Key considerations when projecting financial performance and impacts
- Key considerations for analyzing options for financial viability and recovery
- Session 2 – Critical Accounting Frameworks
- Why accounting controls matter during a crisis
- Foundations and components of Uniform Systems of Accounts
- Critical decisions and controls during a crisis if accounting controls are weak
- Session 3 – Components and Determination of the Costs Necessary to Provide Service
- Determinants of commercial viability
- Components and determinations of service costs
- Impacts of revenue loss
- Session 4 – Fundamentals of Financial Analysis
- Ratio analysis: Types of uses
- How ratios are impacted by financial crises
- Projecting future financial states
- Session 5 – Scenario Analysis
- Risk assessment process and mitigation instruments
- Scenario building
- Using quantitative tools to assess risk
- Decision making with simulations and scenarios
This course will be delivered virtually through Zoom meetings.
The face to face Zoom sessions are scheduled from 9:00am – 11:30am Eastern Daylight Time:
- Monday, May 24, 2021
- Wednesday, May 26, 2021
- Friday, May 28, 2021
- Wednesday, June 2, 2021
- Friday, June 4, 2021
This is not a self-paced course. Active participation in Live Zoom sessions is required in order to receive the Certificate of Completion.
USD $1995 course fee includes program tuition, face to face Zoom sessions, and course materials.
- Internet connection (DSL, LAN, or cable connection desirable)
- Access to Zoom (download the latest version online)
- Unique Zoom meeting links will be provided once payment is received