September 11, 2023

Macy's in the Marketplace

Glass, Elliott

Elliot Glass, the ​Sr. Director of Customer, Digital Strategy & Operations of Macy’s came and spoke to the Retail Leadership Seminar. Glass has worked for Barneys, and Boston Consulting Group, and now works for Macy’s in Strategies and Operations, specifically in the digital field.

Glass first began speaking about Macy’s and how they launched within a Marketplace. A marketplace encompasses many aspects of a business including inventory, assortment, traffic and site experience, and the loyalty and promotions that Macy’s offers. Glass went more in-depth to explain his actual role in strategic planning and how digital innovations are helping Macy’s branch into new marketplaces. He took the students through the four-step process of a strategic project. First, he went through the discovery process and spoke about the marketplace and how Macy’s fits within the market. Then he spoke about the strategy Macy’s uses within different departments. The final two steps are the building and launch of a project. Students were able to learn about Macy’s and the strategic design principles that they follow for every launch. At the end of the class, students were able to ask questions learn more about Macy’s as a whole, and see what their future plans are.

Student Spotlight: Meet Jensen Dole

Jensen Dole

Hi, my name is Jensen Dole. I am a Junior at the University of Florida, and I am pursuing a degree in Marketing and applying for a master’s degree in information systems. My goal in the future is to work for a company that wants to develop sustainable textiles and make innovative fabrics to produce clothing that will help decrease carbon emissions. I am the President of The Retail Society as well as the National Retail Federation Ambassador on campus. Since my freshman year, I have worked on expanding my network and have taken opportunities to develop my skill sets within the retail sphere. Within my positions, I am able to work with national and local retailers and help students understand all of the opportunities that retail has to offer. Because of my work and dedication over the last three years, I was nominated as the Miller Retail Center Student of the Year. I am honored to have been nominated and I will continue to work hard to help achieve my goals. This semester I want to continue to discover new things about the retail industry while teaching other students about my passion and hopefully encourage them to get involved as well.