History

We earned our way to the top. We outperform because we outprepare and are bred on real-world achievement. We run the gauntlet, face an education by fire, come out ahead and hit the ground running. This momentum carries us into top placements—from graduates to CEOs to benefactors. Because we know the true value of success comes from helping each other succeed—

and the true measure of legacy is working for a world bigger than ourselves.

  • 1926: UF College of Business was established and Walter Matherly appointed as dean.
  • 1929: The College was accredited by AACSB International.
  • 1933: The College is renamed to College of Business Administration, separating from its previous affiliation with Journalism.
  • 1935: Walter Matherly elected president of AACSB.
  • 1938: The College celebrated 100 students graduating with business degrees.
  • 1946: First MBA degrees awarded by UF.
  • 1954: Matherly Hall opens.
  • 1954: Donald Hart assumes deanship.
  • 1969: Robert Lanzillotti named dean, serves until 1987.
  • 1974: Media Center opens.
  • 1974: First TV Replay classes offered.
  • 1977: UF’s School of Accountancy approved by state legislature and MACC degree instituted. John Simmons is named first director.
  • 1979: First Eminent Scholar Chair in the State University System (SUS) is established, the Matherly-McKethan Chair in business. Econometrics scholar Hans Theil named as chair.
  • 1981: New Business Building opens.
  • 1985: Alumnus Fred Fisher (BSBA 1959) establishes major endowment to support the accounting program; Fisher School of Accounting was named in his honor.
  • 1987: William Emerson (BSBA 1946) makes donation to renovate “Business Triangle” and Emerson Courtyard is named in his honor.
  • 1987: Alan Merton assumes deanship.
  • 1990: John Kraft became the fifth dean in Warrington history. He arrived from Arizona State University’s College of Business where he served in the same role.
  • 1990: UF MBA appears on BusinessWeek’s list of the nation’s top 40 programs for the first time.
  • 1993: UF MBA offers its first program for working professionals.
  • 1996: Public Utility Research Center joins with The World Bank to present first International Training Session.
  • 1996: Al Warrington’s (BSBA 1958) major gift established an endowment for business faculty support. The College was named in his honor.
  • 1998: New Business Building rededicated as Stuzin Hall.
  • 1999: The College launches its Online MBA program, then known as FlexMBA.
  • 2000: College institutes three specialized master’s programs, leading to revitalization of graduate offerings.
  • 2003: Gerson Hall completed, at the time, the nation’s only stand-alone accounting building.
  • 2005: Addition of Master of Science in Real Estate (The Nathan S. Collier Program) becomes College’s sixth specialized master’s program.
  • 2007: William R. “Bill” Hough (MBA ’48) gives $30 million to the College, the largest private gift ever received by UF at that time. The College’s graduate school is named in his honor.
  • 2008: College establishes the Post-Doc Bridge Program.
  • 2010: Hough Hall, the College’s graduate school building, is officially dedicated.
  • 2010: UF MBA’s Online program named one of the two best in the world by The Economist.
  • 2012: Alumnus Bill Heavener pledges lead gift for investment in undergraduate business education. The undergraduate School of Business was named in his honor.
  • 2014: Al and Judy Warrington give $75 million –the largest gift in UF history – to the College. Warrington’s combined gifts to UF reach $100 million.
  • 2014: College of business matriculates first Doctor of Business Administration class.
  • 2014: Completion of Heavener Hall brings the College’s vision to fruition with each of its schools supported with major program endowments and state-of-the-art facilities.
  • 2015: John Kraft celebrates 25th year as Warrington’s dean.