UF in London Application Checklist
It is strongly recommended that you discuss options with a Heavener International Programs advisor prior to selecting a program. Once you have chosen your specific program, follow the steps below.
Complete the following steps by the application deadline:
- Go to Study Abroad and Intern in England! and click the “Apply Now” button. Login using your GatorLink username. Select desired term and click “Apply.”
- You may begin filling out the Questionnaires (including the Budget Worksheet) and Signature Documents or otherwise wait until after your appointment with a Heavener School of Business International Programs advisor (see below).
- Meet with a Heavener School of Business International Programs advisor
- Call 352-273-0151 to set up an appointment.
- During this appointment, the Academic Advising Form will be filled out, where you will make preliminary course selections. You will also have your photo taken. If time permits, the Budget Worksheet will be discussed. You may wish to set up an additional appointment to go over the Budget Worksheet further, if needed.
- Finish application
- Turn in the Academic Advising Form to the UF International Center (170 the HUB).
- Ensure all Questionnaires and Signature Documents are complete on the online application.
- Pay the deposit of $375 via the online application.
At this stage, your application will be reviewed by the Heavener International Programs office and UF International Center. If your application is approved, you will have additional tasks to complete prior to departure (see below).
- Obtain/Renew passport
- If you do not have a passport, or if your current passport is set to expire sooner than six months after your expected return date, you must obtain a new passport.
- Visit Travel.State.Gov for more information.
- You will need to have this passport almost immediately after the program deadline. Choose expedited service only if needed.
- Apply for scholarships
- Apply for a Heavener School of Business scholarship.
- Apply for a UFIC scholarship.
- Apply for an FIE scholarship.
- Review additional possible scholarships.
- If you receive a Pell Grant, consider applying for the Benjamin A. Gilman scholarship.
- Research other scholarship opportunities; the list above is not comprehensive.
Note that scholarships have different requirements, deadlines, and notification dates. Some require an open study abroad program application, some require an approved study abroad program application, etc.
Complete the following tasks after your application is approved. A more detailed version of this checklist with dates and deadlines will be sent to you upon approval.
- Emergency Contact Information
- Complete the questionnaire on your UF study abroad application online
- Attend the First Meeting (Spring and Summer Programs Only)
- This meeting is mandatory. You will meet the rest of the students on the program, and all of the post-approval tasks will be reviewed.
- Passport Information
- Complete the questionnaire on your UF study abroad application online. The passport upload should be a color scan of the data and signature pages.
- The passport must be signed and valid at least six months after your expected return date.
- Non-U.S. citizens should also upload a copy of their visa for the U.S.
- FIE Application
- Complete FIE’s online application. Instructions will be sent to you upon approval of your UF study abroad application.
- Note that this application includes submitting the following documents:
- C.V. (Resume)
- Personal Statement
- The Heavener International Programs office will upload your photo and transcript directly to the FIE online application, so you do not have to do those yourself on the application. The Heavener International Programs office will also provide the Study Abroad Advisor Confirmation directly the FIE administrative staff, who will then mark it off within the application.
- Attend a Visa Workshop
- This workshop is mandatory and is designed to assistant students with the UK Tier 4 Visa application.
- Obtain a UK Tier 4 Visa
- More information and a breakdown of the steps will be provided by FIE around or shortly after the FIE application deadline.
- This information will be reviewed at the Visa Workshops hosted by Heavener International Programs, as well.
- Note that the visa application process will require the following information:
- Parental information
- Travel history
- Legal incident history
- Proof of sufficient finances (does not apply to U.S. citizens and citizens of certain other countries; if you are an international student check the immigration rules)
- Note that the visa application process will also require you to attend a biometrics appointment at an Application Support Center. There are none located in Gainesville; check the list of ASCs in Florida.
- Flight Information
- Complete the questionnaire on your UF study abroad application online.
- Refer to the program website for arrival and departure dates. Always double-check with the Heavener International Programs office prior to booking if you are unsure about the flight.
- Do not arrive in the UK any more than one week earlier from the listed arrival date. Do not depart the UK any more than five days after the listed departure date. Do not fly through Ireland on your way to the UK.
- Attend the Pre-Departure Session
- This session is mandatory and will cover important information and details specific to the program.
- Attend the Study Abroad Survival Session
- This session is mandatory and will cover general pointers about how to navigate a semester abroad.
- Laptop Check
- Have your laptop checked by the Technology Assistance Center (HVNR 206).
- Call 352-273-0248 for an appointment or go as a walk-in.
- Additional FIE Requirements
- There may be additional tasks to complete through FIE beyond the initial application.
- Pay careful attention to your FIE application online, as well as email, and follow through with instructions provided by their staff.