The Theatre (THE) area of specialization introduces students to the performing arts and allows for a flexible array of courses. Students can choose specialization courses in either general theatre or in theatre production. Basic survey courses may be required as a prerequisite and then students can begin upper division courses which allow students to delve into more specific areas of interest. Theatre appreciation (THE 2000) is a prerequisite for many theatre courses and required for both minor options. For career information visit the UF Career Connections Center.
Students are required to have a minimum of four classes totaling 12 hours from any of the 3000-4000 level courses listed below and maintain a minimum 2.0 area of specialization GPA. While students may choose courses from either list for the specialization, you may want to plan these courses with one of the theatre minors accordingly if pursuing one. Be sure to check course prerequisite requirements. Please be aware that many theatre courses have limited space and will not always be available to non-majors. Visit the Undergraduate Catalog Courses page to find more details for each course.
- THE 3231 African American Theatre (prereq: THE 2000; 3 credits)
- THE 3234 Diversity & Multiculturalism in the American Theatre (prereq: THE 2000; 3 credits)
- THE 4110 History of Theatre 1 (prereq: THE 2000; 3 credits)
- THE 4111 History of Theatre 2 (prereq: THE 2000; 3 credits)
- THE 4481 Production Dramaturgy (prereq: THE 2000; 3 credits)
- TPP 3103 Acting 2 – Analysis and Application (prereq: TPP 2110 and department consent)
- TPP 3124 Improvisation (3 credits)
- TPP 4930, Advance Improv (prereq: TPP 3124)
Production – Design/Technical
- TPA 3208 Drawing and Drafting for the Stage (prereq: TPA 2202C or TPA 2232C, and theatre minor; 3 credits)
- TPA 3227C Practical Stage Lighting (prereq: TPA 2202C; 4 credits)
- TPA 3263C Introduction to Sound Design and Technology (4 credits)
- TPA 3238 Advanced Costume Construction (prereq: TPA 2232C and theatre minor; 3 credits)
- TPA 4020 Lighting Design (prereq: TPA 3217; 3 credits)
- TPA 4049 Costume Design (prereq: TPA 2074; 3 credits)
- TPA 4239 Costume Patterning (prereq: TPA 2232C and theatre production minor; 3 credits)
You are always welcome to meet with an advisor in the Heavener School of Business, however, advising specifically related to Theatre is available through the School of Theatre and Dance in the College of the Arts. For registration, scheduling, and area-specific questions, please contact:
227 McGuire Pavilion
Two minor options are available in this area of specialization. To complete the General Theatre minor students must complete 17 credit hours with grades of “C” or better. To complete the Theatre Minor with an emphasis on Production (Design/Technical) students must complete 18-19 credit hours with grades of “C” or better. You can find out more about the Theatre minor in the Undergraduate Catalog.