The Sport Management (ESS) area of specialization is offered through the Sport Management Department in the College of Health and Human Performance. The Sport Management program explores finance, marketing, legal issues, administration, and research in today’s global sport industry. Career opportunities are available in management and leadership positions within professional sports teams, intercollegiate athletics, recreation programs at colleges or universities, sport governing bodies, major sport arenas or stadiums, and sport equipment companies. For career information visit the UF Career Connections Center.
Students are required to have a minimum of four classes totaling 12 hours from any of the 3000-4000 level courses listed below and maintain a minimum 2.0 area of specialization GPA. Be sure to check course prerequisite requirements. Please see the SPM advisor if interested in taking SPM courses not listed below.
Important: The Sports Management Department will register students for a maximum of 2 SPM courses per term. It is recommended students plan for at least 3 semesters to complete the area. The department will not be able to assist you with registration until 3 weeks after the start of Advance Registration. The department allows students in the major to register prior to students outside the major. Visit the Undergraduate Catalog Courses page to find more details for each course.
- APK 3400 Introduction to Sport Psychology (contact APK advisor for registration)
- HLP 4933 Study Abroad Topics (3)
- SPM 3012 Sport and Society
- SPM 3204 Ethical Issues in Sport
- SPM 3306 Sport Marketing
- SPM 3403 Sport Information Management
- SPM 4104 Sport Facility Design and Management
- SPM 4154 Administration of Sport and Physical Activity (prereq: MAN 3025)
- SPM 4515 Sport & Business Finance
- SPM 4723 Legal Issues in Sport/Physical Activity
- SPM 4724 Risk Management in Live Entertainment and Sport
- SPM 4725 Advanced Legal Aspects in Live Entertainment and Sport
You are always welcome to meet with an advisor in the Heavener School of Business, however, advising specifically related to Sport Management is available through the Sport Management Department in the College of Health and Human Performance. For registration, scheduling, and area-specific questions, please contact:
330 Florida Gym
A certificate is available in this area of specialization. You can find out more about the Sport Management certificate in the Undergraduate Catalog.