The Music (MSC) area of specialization is designed for students who have a strong background in music and an interest in pursuing further studies. For career information visit the UF Career Connections Center.
Students are required to have a minimum of four classes totaling 12 hours from any of the 3000-4000 level courses listed below and maintain a minimum 2.0 area of specialization GPA. Be sure to check course prerequisite requirements, specifically, many of these courses require that you take MUL 2010. Visit the Undergraduate Catalog Courses page to find more details for each course.
- MUH 3211 Survey of Music History 1 (F&S; prereqs: MUT 1111 and MUT 1112 with C or better)
- MUH 3212 Survey of Music History 2 (F&S; prereqs: MUT 2116 and MUH 3211 with C or better)
- MUH 3025 Popular Music in America: From Ragtime to Hip- Hop (F&S)
- MUH 3530 Traditional and Popular Musics of Africa (F; prereqs: MUH 2501 or permission of instructor)
- MUH 3541 Latin American Music (F; prereqs: MUL 2010 or permission of instructor)
- MUH 4016 History of Jazz (F,S,&Sum)
- MUH 4722 Timbre: Critical Discussions (S; prereqs: permission of instructor)
- MUH 4724 Music and Audience (S; prereqs: permission of instructor)
- MUH 4930 Special Topics in Music History (F&S; prereqs: permission of instructor)
- MUH 4930 Study Abroad/Music History Elective (Sum A; prereqs: permission of study abroad advisor)
- LAS 4935 Brazilian Identity, History, Music, Clt (S; prereqs: permission of instructor) or MUH 4930 Music and Brazilian Identity
- MUM 4005 Foundations of Music Business (F; prereqs: permission of instructor)
- MUM 4051 Strategic Music Entrepreneurship Development (F; prereqs: permission of instructor)
- MUM 4500C Music Production in Commercial Media (S; prereqs: permission of instructor)
F=Fall, S=Spring, Sum=Summer Terms
You are always welcome to meet with an advisor in the Heavener School of Business, however, advising specifically related to Music is available through the School of Music in the College of the Arts. For registration, scheduling, and area-specific questions, please contact:
UG Student Services
435 Music Building
There are multiple minors available in this area of specialization. Please refer to the school’s website regarding minors and the course requirements. You can find out more about the Music minors in the Undergraduate Catalog or on the School of Music’s Minors webpage.