Study Abroad in France!
Cancelled for Spring and Summer 2020 in response to COVID-19 considerations.
Spend a semester living in Paris while completing courses toward your business major or minor! Paris is a truly amazing city and is home to dozens of museums, historical sites, and international business venues. The Warrington College of Business offers a semester-long study abroad program in Paris, France that allows students to earn UF credit by taking two online UF business courses, as well as two courses focusing on French language and culture. All University of Florida students are invited to participate in this program, as the credit earned will apply to the UF business degree, business minor, and general education requirements. Consideration will also be given to non-UF business students who are enrolled in an SUS (State University System) institution.
Please note: students are not accepted into the program until they submit their application and deposit to the UF International Center. You can start your online application today!
The City: Paris, France
Paris is commonly referred to as the City of Light, and visitors to this remarkable city will realize the appropriateness of this reference soon after their arrival. It is impossible to ignore the enchantment of the Eiffel Tower, the beauty of the architecture, and the immeasurable value of the museums. Yet, students are sure to remember the charm of Parisian cobblestone streets, the delightful patisseries, and the life of bistros and cafés. Although historic, Paris is also a crucial economic force in Europe, evident in the astonishing modernity of La Défense – Paris’ magnificent business district.
The Neighborhood: Historic St-Germain
Students will go to school and live in the chic neighborhood of Saint-Germain in the 6th Arrondissement. The adventure of this district lies in discovering the narrow streets and hidden squares that bring the city’s historic and literary associations to life. Dominated for centuries by a vast Benedictine abbey, Saint-Germain-des-Prés came into vogue in the early 20th century as a center of intellectual and artistic life, home to jazz clubs and literary cafés. Students will gain an understanding of French culture by being immersed in this artistic neighborhood. Though the recent arrival of couture and designer boutiques is changing the neighborhood’s character, its narrow side streets still boast art galleries, bookstores and cozy café terraces. The Boulevard Saint-Germain stretches for two miles between the Pont de Sully, which crosses to the Île St-Louis, to the Pont de la Concorde. This area boasts many tourist attractions such as Notre Dame, Louvre Museum, Musee d’Orsay and Jardin du Luxembourg. All are within reach of the St. John’s campus.
The School: St John's University - Paris campus
Students will stay in the newly renovated, comfortable environment of the SJU Paris Study Center, located in the popular Saint-Germain district of Paris. The St John’s University Paris campus is situated in a six-story structure containing approximately 20,000 square feet of space offering a mixture of residences, classrooms, offices and support space. Best of all, students have immediate access to the incomparable artistic, cultural and educational resources available only in Paris.
- Program offered during spring and summer semesters
- Study alongside your UF peers and the students at St. John’s University
- Take UF courses while experiencing an exciting new culture!
- Participate in program scheduled cultural activities and excursions
- Ease of applying Bright Futures and Florida Prepaid to program costs
- Program includes meals (breakfast and dinner, four days a week)
- Students must have a minimum of a 2.5 GPA.
- Students are required to take two UF electronic platform courses during fall and spring semesters, but may take one during summers.
- Students must have a valid passport.
Spring Program – Earn 13 to 17 Credit Hours
Choose 2 Online UF Business Courses (8 UF credits):
- MAN3025: Principles of Management
- MAR3023: Principles of Marketing
- BUL4310: Business Law
- ENT3003: Principles of Entrepreneurship
- GEB3373: International Business (spring semester only)
- MAN4504: Operations Management
Choose from the following options from St. John’s University’s curriculum:
- FRE 1000 – Beginning French I and French II (Equivalent to UF’s FRE 1130)
- Intermediate and Advanced French language classes
- Internship (for students that have an intermediate level of French or higher)
- Art and Architecture in France
- Religions of the World
A complete list of courses & syllabi can be found on the St. John’s University program page under the ‘Academics’ tab.
Summer Program – Earn 10 to 14 Credit Hours
Choose 1 or 2 Online UF Business Courses from the list above.
Choose two courses from St. John’s University’s curriculum: one course during Summer 1 and one course during Summer 2. Summer 1 and Summer 2 roughly coincide with the months of June and July, respectively. Courses are three transfer credits each.
- Summer 1
- French I
- French II
- French III
- Intermediate French Conversation
- Advanced French Conversation
- Summer 2
- Art and Architecture in France
Students completing an internship will be enrolled in St. John’s University’s FRE 4980A: International Internship in France (6 cr) instead of the Summer 1 and Summer 2 courses. The internship will take place throughout Summer 1 and Summer 2.
Estimated Program Fee
- $15,146: Spring ’20
- $11,688: Summer ’20
Program cost includes tuition, fees, insurance, orientation, housing, and local transportation pass while in Paris. Breakfast and dinner is included four days per week for the entire semester.
Other Estimated Expenses:
- Books and Supplies: $350
- Airfare: $1400
- Entertainment/Leisure: $3000*
* Expenses vary depending on student preferences
The currency in France is the Euro.
- Internships are offered in the spring and summer semesters at no additional cost to the student
- Students must have intermediate French level and need to submit a cover letter and resume, in French, to be considered
- Internship placements typically conduct Skype interview with candidates about two months before the start of the program.
Accommodations and Classroom Facilities
- Fully-wired computer lab with printers for student use
- Spacious meeting room, library and student lounge
- Bilingual staff, including a resident director and resident assistants to assist with student needs
- Two bunk-beds, wardrobes and study desks per room
- Linens for student use during semester
- Air conditioned rooms
- Wireless broadband internet access
- Digital phones
- Four showers, sinks and toilets per residence floor
- Some rooms feature Paris vistas that include the Eiffel tower
- 24-hour security and maintenance staff
- Token operated washer and dryer on premise
SJU Paris Study Center is less than a block away from an entrance to the Paris Metro (Vaneau) and is in close proximity to major Parisian landmarks, such as Notre Dame, the Louvre and d’Orsay Museums, and the spectacular Luxembourg Gardens.
Travel from Paris to other French and European cities is easy and affordable.
- French Train System
- Charles de Gaulle International Airport
- Skyscanner – Discount European Airlines
- Paris Bus and Metro system
- Spring: October 1
- Summer: March 1
Program applications are located on the UF International Center website. Students are not accepted into the program until they submit their application and deposit to the UF International Center. Please note that the program operates on a first-come-first-serve basis and may reach full capacity prior to the application deadline.
Terms of Agreement
Students assume full responsibility for the cost of the program by the following dates:
- Spring: November 1
- Summer: April 1
Students on the participant list as of these dates become financially obligated. Only in extreme circumstances (e.g., serious personal injury, family emergency, etc.) will a student be allowed to petition to remove him/herself from the list of participants prior to the start of the program. Petitions will be reviewed by the Director of the School of Business.