My Journey Toward Accepting an Internship

I am going to tell you the most important things that I learned in my journey toward accepting a NY Wealth Management internship with JP Morgan.

First of all, you MUST put yourself outside of your comfort zone. Reach out to recruiters, to current employees, to your mentors, and to anyone who might know something that you do not because you will always have something new to learn. At the same time, this will show your honest interest in the role which recruiters look for. If luck has it, maybe they will know of an opportunity that might be a perfect fit for you. Regardless, be proud of yourself because reaching out takes courage. By the way, do not get stuck on the word “perfect fit.” There is so much for you to explore so take advantage of all opportunities and by this, I mean two things: apply to all the places you wish and do not say no to an opportunity just because it was not what you were expecting. Even if you believe the chances of getting into your dream company are slim, go for it! Likewise, if someone presents you with an internship in a role you are unsure of, unless you are absolutely sure you do not want it, then go for it! Do not set limits on yourself and starting yesterday, have the goal of leaving a positive mark wherever you go. Say it with me, “we will do great things and have no regrets!”

Secondly, it is very important for you to prepare. Make sure to research the company beforehand and ask questions. Again, you can ask me, our CAP mentors, your mentors, directors, peers, family, and the list goes on. For example, I took my awesome mentees to Career Showcase and by simply going over their pitch, asking questions, and being brave they were able to secure interviews and even an internship! Along the same lines, if you are interested in the markets, read the Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, or anything that will give you insight about your field of interest helping you establish a professional foundation. Like Benjamin Franklin once said, if “we do not prepare, then we are setting ourselves up for failure.”

Thirdly, I cannot stress this enough, be yourself! Imagine how exhausting it would be if ten years in the future, you have to act as someone you are not for more than 40 hours a week. It would be better for you and your employer to have a job where you can bring your authentic self because that is where you will thrive. You have an amazing personality and are an awesome person, do not doubt that.

Mentee Group at Career Showcase