Comprehensive Regulatory Impact Analysis Course
Online Training for Utility Regulators, Policy Makers, and Infrastructure Professionals
Next online course begins September 30, 2019.
For more information, please email us.
Avoid the pitfalls that stifle utility regulatory decisions and gain support for difficult issues. Learn how to effectively and rigorously analyze and communicate the impacts of regulations… wherever you are. With our online course, Comprehensive Regulatory Impact Analysis, you will learn from experts and exchange experiences and best practices with peers through the latest in Internet technology.
The course Comprehensive Regulatory Impact Analysis provides tools and approaches for regulatory impact analysis (RIA), a systematic appraisal of the potential impacts of a regulatory decision to assess whether the decision is likely to achieve the desired objectives and at what cost. Through case studies, exercises, and lectures, course participants learn how to identify key questions, identify stakeholders and engage them in the analysis, use appropriate analytical techniques, and communicate their findings.
At the conclusion of the course, you will be able to structure a RIA process. In addition, the course will take you beyond process to higher levels of RIA substance and communication. You will be able to:
- Project the impacts of alternative regulatory policies on different customer classes, including alternative rate designs, conservation programs, and service quality improvements
- Incorporate advanced elements into RIAs, including uncertainty (and the precautionary principle), option values (for the timing and sequencing of projects), and referent analysis (identifying the impacts on different stakeholder groups and on the environment)
- Analyze potential impacts on infrastructure performance based on simulations
- Develop strategies and systems for tracking the results of regulatory decisions
- Communicate RIA to decision makers and stakeholders by categorizing benefits, costs, and associated risks in clear and comprehensible language
USD $995 course fee includes:
- Program tuition
- Reading and online classroom material
- Consultation regarding classroom material with PURC Faculty
This course will be delivered entirely online through the University of Florida’s course management system, Canvas. In Canvas, you will access video lectures, course materials, course case study and additional resources. Activities will consist of watching lectures, discussion posts, self-tests and assignments with various case studies. Instructions on how to access Canvas will be provided once your application is approved and proof of payment is received.
Active participation with the discussion forums and assignments is incredibly important to your success in the course. The discussion forums provide an opportunity for you to engage with your course colleagues as well as the PURC faculty on the course material. Completion of assignments is required in order to receive the Certificate of Completion.
This is not a self-paced course. The course will be delivered online over a six week period. A new learning module will be released every Monday by 12pm Eastern Standard Time. It is recommended that participants complete the module by the following Sunday (one-week).
- Internet connection (DSL, LAN, or cable connection desirable)
- Chrome is the recommended web browser for Canvas. Internet Explorer and Safari should not be used to access Canvas.
- Access to course management system, Canvas.