What is a Peer Leader?
A Peer Leader is an upper-level business student that serves a vital function as co-instructor for the Warrington Welcome course. Peer Leaders assist students by serving as a peer advisor, role model, and a representative of the Warrington College of Business. While serving their fellow students, they gain skills highly valued by employers and graduate schools.
Peer Leaders co-teach Warrington Welcome (Intro to Business) and assist students by serving as a peer advisor, role model, and a representative of the Warrington College of Business. Through formal training and hands-on experience, peer leaders develop critical skills (organization, public speaking, creativity, adaptability, etc.) that are highly valued by employers and graduate schools.
- Develop the lessons for, co-teach, and facilitate GEB 2015 with a Heavener staff member.
- Demonstrate professionalism by being timely, dependable, and responsible for your actions.
- Represent WCB and the Peer Leader community positively, appropriately, and professionally in the community and on social media.
- Exhibit a positive and enthusiastic attitude, friendliness, and honesty.
- Exhibit leadership potential and a strong commitment to the mission of the WCB.
- Work effectively with a teaching partner as well as students.
- Engage in professional development and participate in opportunities for collaboration and growth of your teaching and leadership
- Attend monthly Peer Leader Forums and be active in the Peer Leader community.
- Undergraduate student in the Warrington College of Business
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Completed or currently enrolled in Warrington Welcome (GEB 2015: Intro to Business)
Required Events and Dates
In addition to responsibilities associated with teaching, Peer Leaders must attend and actively participate in the following:
- Peer Leader Retreat: November 13th
- Successfully complete the Spring 2021 Training Course
- Warrington Welcome Forums (TBD as of now. Usually once a month on a Monday.)
- Staff Instructor & Peer Leader Matching Breakfast (TBD – January 2021)
- Annual WW Training (TBD – Spring 2021)
Recruitment Dates 2020 - Virtual
- Meet the Peer Leaders (Casual): Wednesday, October 7th at 7:00 pm
- Meet the Peer Leaders (Formal): Monday, October 19th at 7:00 pm
- Online Application is Due: Sunday, October 25th by 11:59 pm
- One-on-one Interviews: Monday, November 2nd – Friday, November 6th
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is a Peer Leader a TA?
No, we co-instruct an introductory course for first-year students by partnering with a Heavener School of Business staff member. We develop the lesson plans!
- Is Warrington Welcome more than just a class to take?
Yes! We have a community, aka family, of Peer Leaders and staff instructors that create a home within Heavener Hall and outside of it.
- Do I need to be ready to teach day one?
No, Peer Leaders are trained! This means that you will be in a course with fellow Peer Leaders during the Spring semester to learn everything you need to know about how to facilitate and command a classroom while building lasting relationships.