What is a Peer Leader?
A Peer Leader is an upper-level business student that serves a vital function as co-instructor for the Warrington Welcome course. Peer Leaders assist students by serving as a peer advisor, role model, and a representative of the Warrington College of Business. While serving their fellow students, they gain skills highly valued by employers and graduate schools.
Peer Leaders co-teach Warrington Welcome (Intro to Business) and assist students by serving as a peer advisor, role model, and a representative of the Warrington College of Business. Through formal training and hands-on experience, peer leaders develop critical skills (organization, public speaking, creativity, adaptability, etc.) that are highly valued by employers and graduate schools.
Becoming a Peer Leader
- Develop the lessons for, co-teach, and facilitate GEB 2015 with a Heavener staff member.
- Demonstrate professionalism by being timely, dependable, and responsible for your actions.
- Represent WCB and the Peer Leader community positively, appropriately, and professionally in the community and on social media.
- Exhibit a positive and enthusiastic attitude, friendliness, and honesty.
- Exhibit leadership potential and a strong commitment to the mission of the WCB.
- Work effectively with a teaching partner as well as students.
- Engage in professional development and participate in opportunities for collaboration and growth of your teaching and leadership
- Attend monthly Peer Leader Forums and be active in the Peer Leader community by fulfilling all Peer Leader contractual requirements.
- Passion for mentorship and leading the next generation of business gators
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Priority given to students who are/have:
Undergraduate student in the Warrington College of Business
Completed or currently enrolled in Warrington Welcome (GEB 2015: Intro to Business)
In addition to responsibilities associated with teaching, Peer Leaders must attend and actively participate in the following:
- Peer Leader Retreat: Friday, November 3rd, 2023 1:00-5:00pm
- Successfully complete the Spring 2024 Training Course (T period 7-8 1:55-3:50pm)
- Warrington Welcome Spring Forums
- Forum #1: Monday, January 22nd, 2024 at 5pm
- Forum #2: Monday, February 19th, 2024 at 5pm
- Forum #3: Monday, March 25th, 2024 at 5pm
- Forum #4: Monday, April 15th, 2024 at 5pm
- Staff Instructor & Peer Leader Matching Breakfast: Friday, February 23rd, 2024 at 9:00-11:00am
- End of Year Celebration: Wednesday, April 10th at 5:30-7:30pm
- Annual WW Training: Thursday, April 25th, 2024 at 12:00pm-4:00pm
- Online Application Opens: Tuesday, September 12th
- Pizza with the PLs (Business Casual): Monday, September 12th at 4:00 pm
- Pop-In with the PLs: Monday, September 25th – Wednesday, September 27th from 10:00am to 3:00 pm in Heavener Study Room 126
- Peer Leader Information Session (Business Casual): Wednesday, September 27th at 4:30 pm
- Online Application is Due: Friday, September 29th by 5:00 pm
- Invitation Only Interview Preparation session: Thursday, October 12th 6:00-7:00pm in Heavener 210
- Group Interviews: Monday, October 16th – Wednesday, October 18th
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is a Peer Leader a TA?
No, we co-instruct an introductory course for first-year students by partnering with a Heavener School of Business staff member. We develop the lesson plans!
- Is Warrington Welcome more than just a class to take?
Yes! We have a community, aka family, of Peer Leaders and staff instructors that create a home within Heavener Hall and outside of it.
- Do I need to be ready to teach day one?
No, Peer Leaders are trained! This means that you will be in a course with fellow Peer Leaders during the Spring semester to learn everything you need to know about how to facilitate and command a classroom while building lasting relationships.
- How does Warrington Welcome promote Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion?
Warrington Welcome has a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DE&I) committee led by Oriana Rodriguez that works hard to make sure these areas are not overlooked.
The committee helps facilitate Human Library, in which speakers from a wide array of identities are invited into Warrington Welcome (GEB2015) classes to share their unique experiences and advice. The DE&I committee also partners with Proctor & Gamble to host Diversity in Business events. In addition, the committee hosts DE&I workshops at the Warrington Welcome Professional Development Summit. Lastly, the committee invites special speakers to Warrington Welcome’s Diversity Forum to demonstrate DE&I initiatives within Warrington and share how Peer Leaders can incorporate those into their classrooms.
Warrington Welcome is committed to the growth and empowerment of individuals from all backgrounds and consistently places a high priority on such initiatives.