Financial Information

Students in our Ph.D. program receive five years of financial assistance in the form of a graduate assistantship (Research/Teaching) if they qualify and conditional on maintaining good standing in the program. The typical graduate assistantship is $43,000 per year plus tuition waiver and medical for up to five years conditional on satisfactory progress.

Graduate Assistantships provide financial support while students work part-time under the supervision of one or more faculty members in duties related to instruction, research, or professional service. Our Ph.D. assistantship is generous and competitive with those of the other top doctoral programs in Finance. Students also receive a tuition waiver, a research support budget of $2000 per year, and medical benefits. The assistantship requires 20 hours/week of research/teaching assistantship. During the five years, students are expected to teach 2-3 courses as part of the assistantship.

The retention of assistantships, research support, and other forms of financial support is contingent on satisfactory academic progress and satisfactory performance of assigned tasks. Therefore, the Department does not guarantee continuous funding for graduate students nor any minimum number of semesters of aid. Historically, however, most assistantships are extended for five years. In addition, students holding at least half-time graduate assistantships or fellowships paying are eligible for in-state or out-of-state tuition waivers up to the minimum credits required for full-time enrollment. Tuition waivers for each semester will be granted to qualifying assistants, provided they maintain a 3.0 GPA and are employed on or before the first day of classes through the end of final exams. Tuition waivers do not cover fees associated with registration (approximately $500 per semester).

Students are automatically considered for graduate assistantship as a part of their application to the Ph.D. program. There is no need to submit a separate application for a graduate assistantship. Students may, at their discretion, apply for other fellowships, grants, loans, or any other form of financial support for which they are eligible.

International students must have an F1 or J1 visa to receive an assistantship.

Tuition and Expenses

Visit the Graduate Catalog financial information page.

Financial Aid Applications

Visit the Student Financial Affairs website for applications and information concerning educational loans.

Health Insurance

Ph.D. students may enroll in GatorGradCare health insurance.