Innovative Sustainability & Social Impact Initiative
The Innovative Sustainability & Social Impact Initiative at CEI empowers students to use the skills and strategies of business leaders to innovatively and sustainably solve social, environmental, and economic problems, locally and around the world.
Courses for Undergraduate & Graduate Students
- SYA4930/ENT3503 - Introduction to Social Entrepreneurship (counts towards the minor in Entrepreneurship)
- ENT 4934 - Introduction to Social Entrepreneurship for UFOnline (launching Fall 2014)
- ENT 4934 - Venture Planning for Social Entrepreneurs (online course, created in Partnership with Ashoka Youth Venture)
- ENT 6506 - Introduction to Social Entrepreneurship
- ENT 6930 - Innovation & Sustainability: Business Doing Good
*Independent Studies, Applied Field Studies, and Internships available upon request
Opportunities for Involvement
Summer Program for High School Students
- UF NetImpact Chapter (ufnetimpact at gmail.com) (graduate students)
- Change the World UF: Student Social Entrepreneurs (undergraduate students)
- Humanitarian InterACTION on Campus (an umbrella organization representing 22 other UF student orgs)
Business Plan Competitions
NetImpact-Walmart Sustainability Better Living Business Plan Competition (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013)
Each year 4-8 teams have entered, the top 3 were selected to compete in the UF Finals round with a panel of distinguished judges, and the winning team was sent to represent UF at the Regionals competition at Emory University in Atlanta.
- Wed. 1/22, 4pm - Deadline to submit complete Business Plan, teams must complete this online form and email their business plan.
- Wed 1/22, 11:59pm - Deadline to email (UFsocialentrepreneurship at gmail.com) one page summary as a Word document. Word documents should be saved as Region_UniversityofFlorida.doc.
- Mon. 1/27 - 3 Finalists will be Announced.
- Thurs. 1/30 4pm - 3 Finalists must submit the final draft of their Business Plan & PowerPoint.
- Fri. 1/31 9am-1pm - 3 Finalists Compete, by 4pm Winning Team will be Announced by email (UFsocialentrepreneurship at gmail.com).
- Greening Gator Footprints Eco-Innovation Competition, April 2012 - 16 teams entered, check out the videos
- UF Youth Venture Changemaker Summit & Challenge, Spring 2011 - 60 students attended the Summit & 5 Teams entered the Challenge, 3 were awarded $1000 Seed Grants
- Social/Environmental Venture category of the Howard Leonhardt Business Plan competition: 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008.
- Summer 2015: Partnering with Ashoka Youth Venture in India to plan a Social Entrepreneurship Study Abroad in India during Summer A. More information coming soon.
Events & Activities
- Speakers Series, 2014, see Change the World UF for more information
- Film Series, 2014, see Change the World UF for more information
- Dinner with a Social Entrepreneur, in partnership with Slow Food UF, 2014, see Change the World UF for more information
- Sustainable Lunch Series
National & International Partnerships
We are partnering with the Sullivan Foundation to create opportunities for students interested in Social Entrepreneurship & Service Learning.
Alumni Social Entrepreneurs
After learning about Social Entrepreneurship, some of our Alumni have launched their own ventures, including: