Social Impact & Sustainability Initiative
Opportunities for Involvement
Summer Program for High School Students
- UF NetImpact Chapter (ufnetimpact at gmail.com) (graduate students)
- Change the World UF: Student Social Entrepreneurs (undergraduate students)
- Humanitarian InterACTION on Campus (an umbrella organization representing 22 other UF student orgs)
Business Plan Competitions
- Students are encouraged to enter the Entrepreneurship Center’s The Big Idea Competition for the opportunity to win Best Social Venture
NetImpact-Walmart Sustainability Better Living Business Plan Competition (since 2010)
Each year 4-8 teams have entered, the top 3 were selected to compete in the UF Finals round with a panel of distinguished judges, and the winning team was sent to represent UF at the Regionals competition at Emory University in Atlanta. The 2015 schedule will be announced in Fall 2014. In 2014, the deadlines were:
- Wed. 1/22, 4pm - Deadline to submit complete Business Plan, teams must complete this online form and email their business plan.
- Wed 1/22, 11:59pm - Deadline to email (UFsocialentrepreneurship at gmail.com) one page summary as a Word document. Word documents should be saved as Region_UniversityofFlorida.doc.
- Mon. 1/27 - 3 Finalists will be Announced.
- Thurs. 1/30 4pm - 3 Finalists must submit the final draft of their Business Plan & PowerPoint.
- Fri. 1/31 9am-1pm - 3 Finalists Compete, by 4pm Winning Team will be Announced by email (UFsocialentrepreneurship at gmail.com).
- Greening Gator Footprints Eco-Innovation Competition, April 2012 - 16 teams entered, check out the videos
- UF Youth Venture Changemaker Summit & Challenge, Spring 2011 - 60 students attended the Summit & 5 Teams entered the Challenge, 3 were awarded $1000 Seed Grants
- Social/Environmental Venture category of the Howard Leonhardt Business Plan competition: 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008.
Events & Activities
Dr. Kristin Joos
Director, Entrepreneurship Center’s Social Impact & Sustainability Initiative
Director, Young Entrepreneurs for Leadership & Sustainability Summer Program
Send Email (kristin.joos at warrington.ufl.edu)