- PhD - Economics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2019
- BSc - Economics, Universidade de Sao Paulo, 2012
In The News
- UF expert on recessions explains the GDP decline — August 1, 2022 — U.S. Gross Domestic Product (GDP) shrank for the second quarter in a row marking the beginning of a recession, however, Assistant Professor?...
- The latest innovative ideas from Warrington — August 10, 2021 — Over the 2020-2021 academic year, Warrington College of Business faculty members reminded us why they’re some of the best in the world, de...
- Pandemic markets can find lessons in history — October 9, 2020 — A new research paper by Gustavo Cortes of the University of Florida and Gertjan Verdickt of Monash University suggests that the Spanish flu...
- Research Roundup: Innovative ideas from Warrington in 2019-2020 — August 11, 2020 — Over the 2019-2020 academic year, Warrington College of Business faculty members reminded us why they’re some of the best in the world. Fr...
- What’s the best way to respond to a global financial crisis? — July 28, 2020 — For many of us, the COVID-19 pandemic has brought plenty of novelty to our lives, like wearing masks and physical distancing. One aspect, th...
Last 3 years
- Equity and Capital Mkt (FIN4504)
Last 3 years
Phd Students Advised
- Guilherme Junqueira — 2023 — 2023
- Osama K Mahmood — 2022 — 2023
- Pancy Li — 2022 — 2023
- Osama Mahmood Khawar — 2020 — 2021
Last 5 years
- Associate Editor, Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance — 2023 to Present
- Editorial Review Board Member, Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance — 2022 to 2023
Last 5 years
Journal Article Publications
Financial Factors and the Propagation of the Great Depression
Status: PublishedJournal: Journal of Financial EconomicsPublished Year: 2022Authors: Gustavo Cortes, Bryan Taylor, Marc Weidenmier
Exporting Uncertainty: The Impact of Brexit on Corporate America
Status: PublishedJournal: Journal of Financial and Quantitative AnalysisPublished Year: 2022Authors: Murillo Campello, Gustavo Cortes, Fabricio d'Almeida, Gaurav Kankanhalli
Unconventional Monetary Policy and Disaster Risk: Evidence from the Subprime and COVID–19 Crises
Status: PublishedJournal: Journal of International Money and FinancePublished Year: 2021Authors: Gustavo Cortes, George Gao, Felipe Silva, Zhaogang Song
Stock Volatility and the Great Depression
Status: PublishedJournal: Review of Financial Studies, ThePublished Year: 2019Authors: Gustavo Cortes, Marc Weidenmier