The Department of Economics accepts applications for admission every other year.
The University has minimum requirements for unconditional admission to graduate study:
- A grade point average of at least 3.0 (B) for the last two years of undergraduate study.
- All students must submit scores on the GRE General Test or GMAT.
- Applicants who have not attended a college or university for at least one academic year in a country where English is the official language, are required to have a score of at least 550 on the paper version, 213 on the computer version, or 80 on the internet version on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Any student who has taken the TOEFL exam should report the score as part of his/her application. Other acceptable tests are: IELTS (International English Language Testing System: 6), MELB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery: 77) or successful completion of the University of Florida English Language Institute program. International students with unsatisfactory scores on the TOEFL, IELTS, or MELB; unsuccessful completion of the University of Florida English Language program; must achieve an acceptable score on an essay administered by the Academic Written English program at UF. If English skills are not acceptable, then performance on the essay will be used to place students in appropriate courses that will not count toward a graduate degree.
Note: While we do not require the Test of Spoken English for any applicant, a student who has taken this test should also report that score.
Beyond the University of Florida requirements, the Department of Economics does not set additional requirements for admission, however most students in our program have qualifications well in excess of the minimums above. For example, the students entering our Ph.D. program in Fall 2007 with financial support:
- Verbal scores ranged from 380 to 680 with an average of 583.
- Quantitative scores ranged from 630 to 800 with an average of 760.
- Average score on analytic writing was 5.0.
Forms and Information
Not Admitting Fall 2013
Steven M. Slutsky
Email (steven.slutsky at warrington.ufl.edu)
PO Box 117140
Gainesville, FL 32611-7166
Email (shawn.lee at warrington.ufl.edu)