Pricing for Sustainability Course
Online Training for Utility Regulators, Policy Makers, and Infrastructure Professionals
How can you incorporate sustainability into your pricing decisions? Will customer responses to prices promote sustainability?
Build your foundation for difficult utility pricing decisions with our new online course! Learn from experts and exchange experiences and best practices with peers through the latest in Internet technology.
The course Pricing for Sustainability is designed to introduce engineers, lawyers, and other professionals to the sustainability concepts important for designing prices in infrastructure industries. When implemented, these prices can promote a cleaner environment, efficiency and sound finances. In addition, the course will show how to minimize potential inefficiencies associated with cross-subsidies and programs addressing environmental externalities. This foundational material will help decision-makers develop prices that promote financial and environmental sustainability, while encouraging efficiency and fairness.
At the conclusion of the course, you will be able to:
- Outline the economic principles that apply to the pricing of infrastructure services
- Identify the economic realities of promoting sustainability
- Explain how prices impact efficiency, as reflected in consumer values and producer costs
- Contrast pricing in competitive and monopolized markets
- Describe pricing techniques utilized in infrastructure industries, including price discrimination, multi-part pricing, peak-load pricing, and multi-product pricing
- Evaluate the effectiveness of different pricing options in achieving corporate and regulatory objectives
This course will be delivered entirely online through the University of Florida’s course management system, Canvas. In Canvas, you will access video lectures, course materials, course case study and additional resources. Activities will consist of watching lectures, discussion posts, self -tests and assignments with various case studies. Instructions on how to access Canvas will be provided once your application is approved and proof of payment is received.
Active participation with the discussion forums and assignments is incredibly important to your success in the course. The discussion forums provide an opportunity for you to engage with your course colleagues as well as the PURC faculty on the course material. Completion of assignments is required in order to receive the Certificate of Completion.
This is NOT a self-paced course. The course will be delivered online over a six week period. A new learning module will be released every Monday by 12pm Eastern Standard Time. It is recommended that participants complete the module by the following Sunday (one-week).
- Internet connection (DSL, LAN, or cable connection desirable)
- Chrome is the recommended web browser for Canvas. Internet Explorer and Safari should NOT be used to access Canvas
- Access to course management system, Canvas
Learn more about the course...
Pricing for Sustainability
This course is no longer regularly scheduled for individuals. Please email us (purcecon at warrington.ufl.edu) to find out how this course can be offered on demand for your organization.
For more information, please email us (purcadmin at warrington.ufl.edu).