Comprehensive Regulatory Impact Analysis, Online Course
March 27 - May 5, 2017
Are your utility regulations achieving desired results? Do you have the proper tools to analyze their impacts? Do you want your studies to be the gold standard by which all others are measured? Do you want your studies to be used and not shelved?
Avoid the pitfalls that stifle utility regulatory decisions and gain support for difficult issues. Learn how to effectively and rigorously analyze and communicate the impacts of regulations... wherever you are. With our online course, Comprehensive Regulatory Impact Analysis, you will learn from experts and exchange experiences and best practices with peers through the latest in Internet technology.
The course Comprehensive Regulatory Impact Analysis provides tools and approaches for regulatory impact analysis (RIA), a systematic appraisal of the potential impacts of a regulatory decision to assess whether the decision is likely to achieve the desired objectives and at what cost. Through case studies, exercises, and lectures, course participants learn how to identify key questions, identify stakeholders and engage them in the analysis, use appropriate analytical techniques, and communicate their findings.
At the conclusion of the course, you will be able to structure a RIA process. In addition, the course will take you beyond process to higher levels of RIA substance and communication. You will be able to:
- Project the impacts of alternative regulatory policies on different customer classes, including alternative rate designs, conservation programs, and service quality improvements
- Incorporate advanced elements into RIAs, including uncertainty (and the precautionary principle), option values (for the timing and sequencing of projects), and referent analysis (identifying the impacts on different stakeholder groups and on the environment)
- Analyze potential impacts on infrastructure performance based on simulations
- Develop strategies and systems for tracking the results of regulatory decisions
- Communicate RIA to decision makers and stakeholders by categorizing benefits, costs, and associated risks in clear and comprehensible language