Alfred A. Ring Distinguished Speaker Series
The Alfred A. Ring Distinguished Speaker Series brings prominent real estate professionals to campus to speak to and interact with UF real estate students and faculty. These distinguished individuals bring to life the material covered in courses. In addition, speakers share their informed perspectives on real estate career strategies and opportunities.
Spring 2015 Schedule
Each presentation will be held from 4 - 5:30pm in Hough Hall 150 (unless otherwise noted). All presentations are free and open to the public. No RSVP is needed.
February 5, 2015
February 19, 2015
Executive Managing Director, Finance, Mill Creek Residential Trust, LLC
March 12, 2015
April 2, 2015
Managing Director/Property Tax, Cushman & Wakefield of Florida, Inc.
“Property Tacts. The property taxation process, including the motivations of the various parties at interest.”
Jones Presentation Video
April 9, 2015
About the Ring Speaker Series
Alfred A. Ring, a founder of the real estate program at the University of Florida, made a profound impact on many, as described in this Gainesville Sun article. A number of our Real Estate Advisory Board members were fortunate to be students of Dr. Ring at UF, and their lives attest to the wisdom he so generously shared. In fact, the Ring speaker series is supported by a trust fund established by the (then) North Florida Chapter of the Appraisal Institute, at the recommendation of former students and friends of Dr. Ring.
We are privileged to continue honoring Dr. Ring's far-reaching contributions with the Alfred A. Ring Distinguished Speaker Series, which brings prominent industry professionals to campus to speak and interact with UF real estate students and faculty. Ring speakers bring real estate course material to life, and share their informed perspectives on real estate career strategies and opportunities.
Head of Americas-Real Estate for ADIA
Chairman Emeritus, Trammell Crow Residential
Terwilliger Presentation Video
Regional President, Lennar Commercial Investors
“From Bricks to Clicks. When Demographics and Technology Collide”
Principal, NAI Hallmark Partners
Conn Presentation Video
President, Ustler Development, Inc.
President East Florida, GreenPointe Homes, LLC
Clontz Newkirk Real Estate Group
President, McCraney Property Co.
Founder and President, Woolbright Development
President, RAM Development Company
Cummings Presentation Video
President, CNL Commercial Real Estate
“Commercial Real Estate-Industry Thoughts”
Senior Financial Policy Analyst, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta
“CRE: Recovering from the Recovery”
Managing Principal, TerraCap Management Corp.
“Population Tracking and Opportunistic Real Estate Investing”
President & CEO, Titan Investments
“Case Study: Weathering the Real Estate Cycles of Boom, Bubble and Bust”
COO, The Shopping Center Group
“The History of American Retail and Shopping Centers”
President, CSX Properties Group
“Corporate Real Estate Development, Management, and Stewardship”
Senior Managing Director (Ret.), CB Richard Ellis
“What I (and some of my friends) Learned Outside the Classroom”
Mr. J. Andrew (Andy) Hogshead
Chief Executive Officer, The Collier Companies
Mr. Charles P. (Charlie) Toppino
President, Oak Pass Capital Management, LLC
Presented in partnership with the Finance Speaker Series
Ms. Debra Koehler
President, Sage Partners, LLC
“Workforce housing: changing the multi-family world as we know it”
Daniel C. Knuth
Director, Real Estate Equities for Northwestern Investment Management Company
Senior Vice President, Equity Residential
Director of Real Estate, Plum Creek
President, The Lutgert Companies
“The Lutgert Companies and the Future of Small Privately Held Real Estate Companies”
Park Bridge Financial
President, CNL Bank
Senior Vice President, Asset Recovery Group, KeyBank
President, CEO and Chairman, Echelon Development, LLC
MAI, Principal and Vice President, Meridian Appraisal Group, Inc.
“Valuation - Part Art and Science”
Director, Reynolds Capital Group
President & CEO, Crosland, LLC
President of Community Development, Crosland, LLC
Principal, Rock Creek Capital
“Mitigation banking and Opportunity land fund”
President, Ram Development Company
“Real Estate investment Decisions in the Brave New World”
EVP for Capital Markets, Taylor, Bean & Whitaker
Nathan S. Collier
Principal & Chairman, The Collier Companies
“From Small Acorns”
Kenneth R. McGurn
President, McGurn Investment Co.
Laurie A. McMahon
Managing Director, Principal, Cassidy & Pinkard Colliers
Wm. Britton Greene
President and Chief Executive Officer, The St. Joe Company
P. James Mehalso
Managing Director, Prudential Real Estate Investors
Executive Vice President, Southeast Region, Kimco Developers, Inc.
“Branding yourself: ‘a road to success’”
Senior Vice President-Commercial Development, Kitson & Partners
“Transit Oriented Development in SE Florida”
Chairman & CEO, The Plasencia Group
“Peak Performance: The Credibility Quotient - A review of keys to successfully marketing your company, your asset or yourself.”
Executive Vice President, Southeast Region, iStar Financial, Inc.
“The Deal: from a lender's perspective”
Director - Equity Investment, Stiles Capital Partners
“There's Always a Joker in the Deck: What happens now that commercial real estate has drawn the housing card?”
James A. Grissett, III
The Parthenon Group, Principal
“The REIT and CMBS Markets: The Year Just Past! The Year Ahead?”
Atlantic Coast Developers, LLC, President and Chief Executive Officer
“A Retail Development Company's Focus on Growth Markets in a Challenging Economic Environment”
Eola Capital, LLC, Founder and Partner
“Accessing Equity in the Capital Markets”
Highwoods Properties, Inc., Vice President
“Increasing Challenges for Office Development in Florida—Have We Killed the Golden Goose?”
Ustler Development, Inc., President
“The New Reality of Urban Development”
Maury L. Carter & Associates, Inc., President
“The Maury Carter Story... Wisdom of My Father”
Senior VP, Ambling Companies, Inc. with Ambling associates:
“Mixed-Use Development - Savannah River Landing”
President, ACG Professionals, Inc.
“ACG: From Sole Proprietor to the Blackstone-EOP Transaction”
Ring Rising Professional:
Beau Beery, CCIM, MARE
Director of Commercial Brokerage & Property Management, AMJ Inc. of Gainesville
“Shopping Center: To Buy or Not to Buy”
Executive Vice President, FNB of Pennsylvania
“Real Estate Lending in Commercial Banks”
President, Ropes Associates, Inc.
“Organization and Execution of a Successful Development Plan”
President, Starwood Land Company
“Placemaking: Guiding Principles for Planned Communities”
James L. Fried
Managing Director, Aztec Group, Inc.
“Managing Your Career Path - A Case Study”
Vice Chairman, Cousins Properties Incorporated
“Site Plans and the Proforma - The Fun Part of Development”
Gregory J. Walz
Regional Director, Northwestern Investment Management Company
“How Do You Manage a $4.2 Billion Real Estate Portfolio?”
President, Levitt Corporation
“Homebuilding, Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow”
Director of Commercial Development, The Bonita Bay Group
“Being Successful in Real Estate - It's about People”
Credit Director, The Citigroup Private Bank
“Getting Deals Done: Merging Mutual Interests and Other Practical Lessons”
David D. Fitch
President and CEO, Gables Residential
“Public to Private - The Gables Transaction”
President, Woolbright Development Corporation
“The Entrepreneurial Approach to Successful Retail Property Investment in Florida”
Director, MetLife Real Estate Investments
“Relative Value and the Real Estate Asset Class”
President and CEO, Bonita Bay Group
“Real Estate Development in Florida — Where is it Going?”
CEO, RMC Property Group
“Mixed-Use Development: What Works, What Doesn't, and Why”
President, The 1220 Group
“Intercontinental Center: A Case Study Using ARGUS”
Sr. Acquisitions/Dispositions Manager, Banyan Realty Advisors
“Acquisitions & Due Diligence for Multifamily Properties”
VP, Bayview Financial Exchange Services, LLC
“1031 Tax Deferral Strategies”
Navigant Consulting, Inc.
“Valuation of Contaminated Real Property”
Managing Partner, Covenant Capital Group
“Capital Opportunities: Secondary and Tertiary Apartment Markets”
Executive VP, Harris, Harris, Bauerle & Sharma
“The Power of Eminent Domain to Condemn Private Property for Community Redevelopment”
Principal, Wragg & Casas Public Relations
“Communications and the Real Estate Market”
Executive Managing Director, Strategic Accounts CBRE
“The Evolving Commercial Real Estate Market”
John M. Crossman
CCIM, Principal, Trammell Crow Company
“Developing a Career in Commercial Real Estate”
Donald A. Haber
Chief Credit Officer and Head of the Commercial Mortgage Conduit for the US, Barclays Capital
“Careers and Opportunities in the Commercial Real Estate Industry”
Gary M. Ralston
President and Founder, Florida Retail Development, LLC
“Small Scale Development - A Retail Case Study”
Angela L. Brown
MAI, President, Realvest Appraisal Services, Inc.
“the Appraiser/Consultant - Beyond the Numbers”
- Bill Hunter, AFCD, Inc.
- Michael Warren, AMJ, Inc.
- Richard Ahrens, Ahrens Companies
- Jeffrey Conn, Hallmark Partners
- Paul Ellis, Trammel Crow
- Paul Douglas, Douglas Development Group
- Richard Eckhard, Partner, Holland & Knight
- David Schaffel, CIO, Co-Star Group
- Bud Meadows, VP - Customer Relations, Pulte Homes
- Steven Ekovich, First VP and Regional Mgr., Marcus and Millichap
- Adolfo Marzol, Executive VP, Fannie Mae
- Larry Furlong, Senior VP, Fidelity National Title
- Douglas Bennett, Senior Investment Officer for Real Estate, Florida Retirement System
- Kelley Bergstrom, Bergstrom Investments
- Howard Taft, Senior Managing Director, Holliday Fenoglio Fowler, L.P.
- Lewis Goodkin, President of Goodkin Consulting Corporation - A Strategic Alliance with PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Steve Patterson, President and CEO, ZOM Holding, Inc.
- Chris D. Wheeler, Chairman and CEO, Gables Residential Trust
- Julian Stokes, Managing Director, Integra Realty Resources - Southwest Florida
- Arthur Menor, Partner, Shutts & Bowen, LLC
- Lewis Goodkin, President, Goodkin Consulting Corporation - A Strategic Alliance with PriceWaterhouseCoopers
- Alfred Hoffman, Jr., CEO, WCI Communities, Inc.
- Steven Messing, Regional Vice President - Real Estate, Eckerd Corporation
- Albert Rex, President, CareyKramer Company
- Martin D. Nass, Senior Partner and Real Estate Practice Leader, TMP Worldwide
- Steven A. Cohen, Senior Vice President of Real Estate Finance, SunTrust Bank
- Craig H. Sher, President & CEO, The Sembler Company
- Robert Simmons III, CEO, R.R. Simmons Construction Company
- Richard P. Donnellan Jr., Managing Director, Atlantic Realty Partners
- Stephen H. Bittel, Chairman & Founder, Terranova Corporation
- Larry D. Richey, Senior Managing Director & Operating Manager, Cushman & Wakefield of Florida Incorporated
- Woodward S. (Woody) Hanson, Real Estate Analyst and Consultant, Integra Realty Resources - Hanson Consulting, Inc.
- John Beeland, Senior Acquisitions Manager, LNR Property Corporation
- Mike Warren, President, AMJ Construction, Inc.
- Paul Phillips, President, Prudential Real Estate Investors-International
- William S. Orosz Jr., President and CEO, Cambridge Homes
- Jeanette Rice, Principal-Research, LendLease Real Estate Investments, Inc.
- Jan Luytjes, Vice-President of Fixed Income Research, Freddie Mac
- Michael LaCour-Little, Vice President, Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
- Rob Gidel, Managing Partner, Liberty Partners LP
- Laurie Burns, Vice President of Development, Darden Restaurants, Inc.
- Miles Keeping, Senior Lecturer, Oxford University
- Alden Toevs, Executive Vice President, First Manhattan Consulting Group
- Casey Cummings, President, Ram Development Company
- Dr. Cristina Barettini, Professor, University of Turin, Italy
- Lydia Brown, Vice President, Prager, McCarthy and Sealy
- Robert Carmichael, Senior VP-Community Development Bank, Bank of America
- Joseph Williams, Principal, Professors Capital
- Martin (“Hap”) Stein, Jr., Chairman and CEO, Regency Centers Corporation
- David Marks, Marketplace Advisors, Inc.
- Keith Schantz, Real Estate Manage-Florida, Starbucks Coffee Company
- Walter Byrd, Senior Director, Cushman & Wakefield
- Jacques Gordon, Managing Director/Investment Research, LaSalle Advisors Capital Management, Inc.
- Jack Conroy, CCIM, Chairman of the Board, Investment Properties Corporation and Grubb and Ellis/IPC
- David Ginn, President and CEO, Mortgage Institute, Inc.
- David Evemy, Vice President, CoStar Group
- Scott (Skipper) Peek, Vice President and Regional Manager, Highwood Properties, Inc.
- Paul Ellis, Principal, Director of Property Management, and Director of Industrial Services, Trammell Crow Company
- Paul Allen, Chief Financial Officer, North American Mortgage
- John McCarthy, Managing Director, Bank of America-Montgomery Securities
- Dr. Alfred A. Ring, Professor Emeritus, University of Florida
- Robert Banting, President, Anderson & Carr, Inc.
- Steve Melnyk, President, Riverside Golf Management Company
- Edgar Jones, Vice-president, Grubb & Ellis
- James Fried, Director of Acquisitions, The TriStone Company
- Dan Page, Managing Broker, Arvida Realty Services Comm. Div.
- Tom Arnold, Director, Praedium Funds, Credit Suisse First Boston
- Courtney Hubbard, Director of Due Diligence, CNL
- Richard Langhorne, President, The Langhorne Company
- Michael Stein Ramshaw, Partner, Arthur Andersen
- Robert Carmichael, Vice President, NationsBank
- David Thomas, Vice President, Beers Construction Company
- William Walton, Managing Partner, Westbrook Partners LLC
- Craig Werley, Senior Managing Partner, The Meyers Group
- Ken McGurn, President, McGurn Investment Co.
- Manuel D. Medina, Chairman of the Board and CEO, Terremark Group, Inc.
- Andrea Tedone Lorry, G.M., Recruiting Captain-Atlanta, Jones Lang Lasalle
- Perry Reader, Vice President and General Manager, The Celebration Company
- Peter Pruitt, Partner, Deloitte & Touche
- Frank Zohn, President, Michael Swerdlow Company
- Douglas Bailey, President, Regent Properties
- Michael Stein, Arthur Andersen, Miami, FL
- Ezio Bruna, OmniTel Pronto Italia, Ivrea, and the Politechnic University of Turin, Italy
- Mari Roby, Vice President, NationsBank
- Robert Carmichael, Vice President, NationsBank
- Laurie Burns, VP, Homestead Village, Inc., Atlanta
- Grant Austin, Managing Director, Pardue, Heid, Church, Smith & Waller of South Florida
- Dan Dupree, President and CEO, Cousins Properties Incorporated
- Robert Rowe, Partner, Green and Rowe Investments
- Lew Friedland, President, JIREH, Inc.
- Steve Melnyk, President, Riverside Golf Group, Inc.
- Kelley Bergstrom, private investor (former President, JMB Realty Corporation)
- Bill Nicholson, Director of Commercial Real Estate, Barnett Banks
- Jill Fisher-Powers, Chief Legal Counsel, Prudential Florida Realty
- Fred Bunch, National Director, Arthur Andersen
- Marty Nass, Partner, Lamalie Amrop International