Heavener Global Mindset
At times, our mobility may be restricted, but that’s no excuse to stop engaging with the global community. Not only is it an important step of your preparation for the global workforce, we believe it is an essential part of being a well-rounded Gator. Use these resources to ensure you are building a global mindset, no matter where you are.
COVID-19 & Study Abroad
All Spring 2020 and Summer 2020 UF study abroad is cancelled in response to COVID-19. A determination will be made at a later date in regards to Fall 2020 study abroad. For further details, please visit the UF International Center.
With approximately 50% of all Heavener students studying abroad in a typical academic year, this is a big change. While study abroad is on temporary pause, we want to make sure all Gators are safe and able to stay connected to the community.
What you can do:
- Telemental Health at the Counseling & Wellness Center
- 24/7 Crisis Services
- Wellness Apps
- Reverse Culture Shock
- Tips for online classes
- Apply for emergency financial assistance through Aid-a-Gator
- Volunteer Remotely During the COVID-19 Crisis
- Support small businesses in your favorite locations across the country and globe
According to the National Association for Colleges and Employers (NACE), global and intercultural fluency is one of the eight key competencies that define what career readiness looks like in graduating students. Here at Heavener, intercultural communication is crucial. While an immersive experience in another culture is the most impactful option we provide, here are other resources you can use to expand your intercultural communication skills without leaving the country:
- Use Gator Ready to earn the Global/Intercultural Fluency badge
- The Lewis Model
- The Globe Project
- World Values Survey
- Explore Hofstede’s Cultural Dimensions
- Leadership Across Cultures
- Take a Project Implicit Test
Connect with International Business
Stay up-to-date with global trends in business. Connecting with domestic organizations is an excellent way to learn more. It is also beneficial to browse international headlines to gain further insight that can help prepare you for the business world.
- Florida Chamber of Commerce – International
- Enterprise Florida – International
- Global Business in South Florida
- Florida Export Guide
International News & Data:
- Reuters – Business News
- Wall Street Journal (free access available through UF)
- UF Business Library- International
- Supply Chains and Globalization
- Office of Foreign Assets Control
- WTO Trade and Tariff data
Global Remote Internships
Global remote international internships allow students to have an international experience, build their resume and develop professional skills from the comfort of their own home. The Heavener International Programs office works with a select number of paid providers to organize remote international work placements all over the world for UF students at a discounted cost. We also manage a special section of the GEB 4941: Internship Course so students can earn UF credit for their internship through these programs.
Watch the video below for insight into what remote internships entail, skill development, and other benefits from one of our recent program alumni.
For more information on global remote internships, visit our international internships page.
Securing an internationally-focused career requires a special skillset. We encourage students to pursue international internships and study when possible. When you start planning for life after Heavener, there are a number of organizations that offer careers that can allow you to live and work abroad.
Don’t forget to connect with Business Career Services for assistance before applying!
Start your search:
- UF Master of International Business Program
- Schwarzman Scholars
- U.S. Department of State
- International Organization Careers
- World Bank
- Peace Corps
- Fulbright Program
Heavener students say it best – studying abroad is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that can define your UF career.
- Connect with our students abroad
- International Programs Student Ambassadors
- Betty’s Perceptions Change in Thailand
- Embracing the Unexpected with Caroline in the Netherlands, Denmark, and Norway
- UF in Vietnam internship blogs
- Want more from Heavener students abroad? Check out our YouTube channel for additional footage.
Nothing can compare to the feeling of stepping off an airplane in another country, but there are plenty of opportunities for students to make meaningful intercultural connections right here in Gainesville.
- Multicultural and Diversity Affairs
- UF International Center Events
- Heavener Student Organizations
- Global Business Society
- International Case Competitions
- Projects for Peace
- Service Opportunities
- Gainesville International Council
- Welcoming Gainesville
There are many fun & engaging ways to connect with the world from the comfort of your home. Browse these suggestions for an escape.