Share large files effortlessly with File-Express: File Sharing Service.
File-Express: File Sharing Service allows students, faculty, and staff to exchange files that may be too large, or otherwise blocked by, traditional email methods. Using a secure server and the GatorLink Authentication system, users can share large files with members of both the UF and Non-UF community.
With File-Express, you can:
- Transfer an unlimited number of completed files of up to 5GB each
- Securely share restricted folders with an encrypted connection
- Upload and download large files more efficiently than through traditional email servers
- Distribute large files to both internal and external associations at once
- Control who can access your folder and how long it will be available for download
- Know once personal have received, viewed, and downloaded your folder
Why do I need File-Express?
File-Express goes beyond standard electronic data-sharing methods. This system provides a secure connection for the temporary exchange of important folders. Files are scanned for viruses and then encrypted once uploaded for storage. Files are decrypted as they are served
Unlike other services, File-Express is designed more for the one-time transfer of large files as opposed to shared editing/modification/deletion. This system allows you to share files up to 200x larger than an email attachment and 2.5x above the file size limit for a premium cloud service. Folder recipients can only download and view the items in the folder before the link expires. You can continue to edit the settings of a folder to increase the expiration date. Theoretically, a folder can be stored on File-Express indefinitely if the folder’s settings are continually updated.
- Folder creation: unlimited
- File types limitations: none
- Single file size limit: 5GB
- Total available disk space: 100 GB
- Default expiration length: 1 day(s)
- Maximum expiration length: 5 day(s)
How do I get started?
UF User Upload
Use this option if you are a UF user and you will be the one uploading files for download.
- Access File-Express: File Sharing Service.
- Click on the Upload tab in the menu or the Create your File-Express folder and upload files button on the homepage. Login with your GatorLink account username and password when prompted.
- On the electronic form, set Prepare folder for to My Upload.
- Fill out the rest of the form for the appropriate folder name, access notification, email addresses, and additional information. The file will automatically expire in 1 day.
- Continue to the next page to upload your folder.
- File-Express will send a notification email to you, the folder creator, and CC the additional email addresses when files are available for download. The settings from Subject Line, Extra Info/Instructions and the URL to the File-Express folder will be included.
Non-UF User Upload
Use this option if you are a UF user authorizing someone without a GatorLink account to upload files.
- Follow UF User Upload steps 1-3 above.
- On the electronic form, set Prepare folder for to Outside User Upload.
- Fill out the rest of the form with the appropriate information.
- Enter Outside Uploader’s Email address for Non-UF recipients.
- Once the form is complete, File-Express will email the outside user with a link to your folder, allowing them one-time upload access. You will not be given an opportunity to upload files into this folder at this time.
Unrestricted Data Upload
Use this option to indicate that the data you will be uploading contains no restricted or sensitive data. When uploading non-restricted data you have additional authentication options for your File-Express folder which allow people without GatorLink accounts to download files. Additionally, your File-Express folder can have a longer expiration time.
- Follow UF User Upload steps 1-3 above.
- Choose No for the Restricted Data Upload setting.
- Fill out the rest of the form for the appropriate folder name, expiration date, access notification, email addresses, and additional information. You will be able to extend the default expiration date up to 5 days.
- Proceed to the next page to upload your folder.
- To ensure a successful transfer, File-Express will send email notifications based on the chosen settings.
- Click on the folder link provided In the email that File-Express sends to the folder creator and/or to email addresses supplied.
- The File-Express: File Sharing Service page opens, displaying a file index for the folder.
- Select the desired filename to open and/or download.
For more complete instructions with accompanying images, visit the File Express: File Sharing Service General Instructions page.
Policies and Conditions
File-Express is available to anyone with a GatorLink username or anyone who receives an email providing access to a File-Express folder prepared for Outside User Upload.
Web Browser Criteria
File-Express will upload files on almost any version of any browser, as long as the Adobe Flash plugin is installed. The upload manager supports three means of performing file uploads. In order of preference they are: HTML5 (supported by the latest versions of Firefox, Chrome, and Safari), Microsoft Silverlight, and Adobe Flash.
At all times, but especially when used with restricted or sensitive information, please review the settings of your File-Express folder to ensure that it is only accessible by its intended and authorized recipients. Restricted information specifically disallowed from being uploaded to File-Express include:
- Social Security Numbers
- Patient Health Information (PHI)
- Payment Card Information (PCI)
- Export controlled information subject to ITAR and EAR
Other examples of restricted information include: medical records; student UFID numbers, grades, schedules, records, and reports; selected human resource data; and any individual consumer financial account information, including credit and debit card numbers. Limited exceptions are available at the discretion the UF Privacy Office.
For a complete guide to the university’s IT policies, please visit UF’s Information Technology website.