Honorlock Student Guide
Watch the following video and/or read the instructions below.
Downloading the Chrome Extension
Prior to starting your first exam that is proctored by Honorlock, you will need to download the Honorlock Google Chrome extension (you should only need to complete this process once each time you use a computer to take an exam). Note: You can only use the Google Chrome browser to take exams that are proctored by Honorlock.
- Open a course site that is using Honorlock. Click the Honorlock toolbar link.
- You will see the Honorlock Chrome Extension window. Check the “I agree…” box and click the blue Get Started button.
- A tab with the Chrome Web Store will appear. Click the blue Add to Chrome button.
- Click the Add extension button. You will receive a confirmation message that the extension has been added. You are now ready to take exams that are proctored using Honorlock.
Preparing for Your Exam
Honorlock Minimum System Requirements
Beginning July 1, 2020, Honorlock is updating their Minimum System Requirements and will no longer support Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Mac OSX 10.11, or Mac OSX 10.12. After July 1, you can find the updated Minimum System Requirements, as well as a system compatibility test, at Honorlock’s support page.
You will need to ensure that you have the following resources on-hand prior to starting an exam:
- Government issued photo ID (or Student photo ID).
- Working web camera and microphone
- Stable internet connection.
- Google Chrome browser (ensure pop-up blocker has been disabled)
- Any additional resources allowed by your instructor, such as scratch paper or a calculator
Exam Area Requirements
The online testing environment should mimic an in-class testing environment, and has following guidelines and requirements.
The exam area should enable you to:
- Sit at a clean desk or table (not on a bed or couch); the desk or table must be cleared of all materials not used during the exam or your exam will be flagged during the proctoring review
- Light the room bright enough to be considered “daylight” quality; overhead lighting is preferred, though if overhead is not possible, the source of light should not be located behind you
- Do a full 360 degree room scan, including your work space; partial scans and/or failure to show your work space will be flagged during the proctoring review
- Ensure that your laptop remains fully charged during the exam period (keep the charger within arm’s reach if you don’t want to keep it plugged in)
The following items and actions are not permitted while you’re taking an exam proctored by Honorlock:
- No writing visible on desk or on walls
- No websites other than Canvas and the Honorlock proctoring extension should be used or open while taking a proctored exam
- No programs and/or windows open on the testing computer prior to logging into the proctored test environment
- No music or television playing in the background
- No forms of communication or receiving of assistance during a proctored assessment. Exceptions: contacting Honorlock support or your institution’s Helpdesk (see Helpful Resources section at end of this guide for contact information)
- No other persons except the test-taker can be present in the room during testing
- No use of a phone or any other electronic device, other than your test-taking device
- No moving off-camera; you must remain visible in the web camera during the entire duration of the exam
- No leaving the room during the testing period unless it is permitted by your instructor or required by DRC accommodations
- No relocating the computer into another room to finish testing (exam must be completed in the same room the “Exam Environment View” is completed in)
- No use of headphones or smart watches
- No use of dual monitors
Taking Your Exam
Once you have downloaded the Chrome extension and ensured that you and your exam environment are fully prepared, you are now ready to take your exam.
- Open your exam in Canvas. Be sure that you start the exam within the exam start window as directed by your instructor.
- Click the blue Take the Quiz button once you are ready to begin the exam.
- Click the green Launch Proctoring button.
- Via a series of pop-up windows, Honorlock will prompt you to complete the Honorlock Authentication process. These steps will include taking a picture of your face, verifying your ID, and doing a 360 degree scan of your room and desk. Click the blue Launch Screen Recording button to begin recording your screen.
- Click the image of your monitor and then the blue Share button.
- Click the blue Click to Begin button.
- Honorlock will launch your exam within Canvas. If you run into any issues during the exam, you can initiate 24/7 Proctoring Support via the right-hand toolbar.
Honorlock also provides access to a calculator. You will be able to access either a four-function calculator or a scientific calculator (depending on which one your instructor activates). During the exam, you can access the calculator via the right-hand toolbar.
- Once you complete the exam and click the Submit Quiz button, Honorlock will notify you via a pop-up window that it is ending the proctoring session.
Questions about completing an exam that is proctored by Honorlock? While in the exam, you can access the live chat option provided in the 24/7 Proctoring Support section of the right-hand toolbar. You can also access Honorlock’s live chat by clicking the “Begin Live Chat” button found on the Honorlock Support page. In addition, you can call 352-392-4357 for support from the UF Computing Help Desk.