Embedding media in Discussion Boards
Embedding images or videos in discussion boards is different from just attaching an image or video file or including a link to one. Embedding allows your instructor to see the video or image directly in your post, which makes grading much easier.
- Navigate to ‘Discussions’ in your Canvas course site and select the discussion board you wish to respond to. Click ‘Reply’ to open the text editor. You will need to become familiar with the icons circled below.
Insert/edit media icon (for videos)
Embed image icon (for images)
- To embed an image, click the embed image icon in the Rich Content Editor. From here, select the image source. This can be a URL or you can upload* an image from your device. Click ‘Update’ to embed the image.
*Note: The ‘My Files’ folder is your personal Canvas folder and is not accessible to anyone but you.
- To embed a video, there are a few options. If you are using a video from YouTube, simply click on the ‘Share’ button underneath the video on Youtube and copy the URL. Then in the Canvas discussion board, select the insert/edit media icon, and paste the URL from YouTube where it reads ‘Source’. Select ‘Ok’ when finished.
Note: You can also upload a video file you recorded onto your own personal YouTube channel and generate a link this way as well. Keep your video as ‘Unlisted’ to prevent anyone from searching for and finding it through the Search feature.
- You can also use Google Drive to upload your own video file and create an embed link. As a UF student, you have unlimited storage when you use Google Drive with your GatorLink credentials. Access Google Drive with your GatorLink.
To embed a video from Google Drive, upload your video file onto Google Drive. Once the video has been processed, right-click the file name to edit the ‘Share’ settings. Under ‘Share’, click ‘Advanced’, and, under ‘Who has access’, select ‘Change’. Then select ‘On – Public on the web’. Click ‘Save’ and ‘Done’.
On Google Drive:
- To generate an embed link, double click the file to open it in Google Drive, and select ‘Open in a New Window’ from the triple dot menu in the upper-right hand corner. When the new window opens, select ‘Embed item…’ from the new triple dot menu and copy the generated embed code.
- Once you have the embed code from Google Drive, navigate back to your Discussion board post on Canvas, and select the icon. Then select the ‘Embed’ tab and paste the embed code in the space provided. Select ‘Ok’ when you are done.