Study Abroad and Intern in England!
Offered All Fall, Spring & Summer Terms
Enjoy theatre, great museums, and exciting nightlife in one of the most cosmopolitan and culturally diverse cities in Europe. When will you have another opportunity to spend an entire semester in one of the world's most historic locations? The Warrington College of Business Administration offers a study abroad program in London that provides students a magnificent life experience - all while earning UF credits! In addition, this program presents a unique opportunity for students to complete an international internship while studying in London. Any University of Florida student may enroll in the program since courses will apply to the UF business degree, the business minor or general education. Consideration will also be given to any student enrolled in an SUS (State University System) institution.
The City: London, England
London is a truly global city, one of the most exciting places on earth. It is one of the few capitals in the world that acts as a center for the arts, media, government, finance and commerce. The program will be held in the facilities of the Foundation for International Education - FIE, a five-storey Edwardian mansion located in the South Kensington district of London. The FIE study centre is in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, one of the most vibrant and exclusive areas of central London, just a few minutes from the Gloucester Road Underground station, and very close to Imperial College, the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Natural History Museum, and the Royal Albert Hall. Also, very near the study centre and dormitories is Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens which together cover 635 acres of greenery, that include Serpentine lake and Long Water, where it is possible to row and swim in the summer. Other London attractions include the open air theatre at Regent's Park, the street life of Covent Garden, the theatre district of Shaftesbury Avenue and Piccadilly, the clubs of Soho, and the exotic restaurants of Chinatown and Charlotte Street. There are many world-renowned sites in and around London, including Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, Tower Bridge, Big Ben and many more!
UF's London Partner: Foundation for International Education Internships
Foundation for International Education (FIE) is a London based non-profit educational organization that provides customized partnership programs for undergraduates. Since establishing in 1998, FIE has set high standards in delivering academic programs abroad. They are a forward-thinking organization with a mission that expresses their passionate belief in higher education. FIE's specialized academic programs allow visiting students to maximize the value of their stay, gaining theoretical knowledge, practical skills, life experience and international perspective.
- May 12: UF online business classes begin
- May 15: Students arrive in London
- May 16 -17: FIE Orientation
- May 19: FIE classes begin (Phase 1)
- June 20: FIE classes end (Phase 1)
- June 23 – June 27: Summer semester break
- June 30 – August 8: Internships phase
- August 8: UF classes end
- August 10: Program ends - students vacate residence by noon
- August 25: UF online business courses begin
- September 3: Students arrive in London
- September 4-5-6: FIE Orientation
- October 27-31: Mid-semester break
- November 3-December 19: Internship phase
- November 24: Last day to withdraw from UF EP courses
- December 10: Last day of UF classes
- December 15-19: UF Final Exams
- December 21: Program ends – students vacate residence by noon
- January 6: UF online business courses begin
- January 7: Students arrive in London
- January 8-9: FIE Orientation
- January 12: FIE classes begin
- March 1-8: Mid-semester break
- March 9-April 30: FIE Internships phase
- April 11: Last day to withdraw from UF EP courses
- April 22: Last day of UF classes
- April 25, 27-30, and May 1: UF final exams
- May 3: Program ends - students vacate residence by noon
- Students must have a minimum 2.5 GPA.
- Students must have a laptop computer.
- Students who wish to participate in an internship must submit a resume and a statement of purpose with the program application. The statement of purpose should discuss what type of internship you want and what you would like to accomplish through your internship.
- Program offered during Fall, Spring, & Summer semesters.
- Take UF courses while experiencing an exciting new culture!
- Participate in cultural activities & excursions.
- Ease of applying Bright Futures, Florida Prepaid, & other financial aid to program costs.
Earn 14 to 17 Credit Hours
Choose 1 or 2 Online UF Business Courses (4 or 8 UF credits):
- MAN3025: Principles of Management
- MAR3023: Principles of Marketing
- BUL4310: Business Law
- ENT3003: Principles of Entrepreneurship
- GEB3373: International Business (fall and spring semesters ONLY)
MAN3025, MAR3023, GEB3373 and BUL4310 are required core business classes
MAN3025, MAR3023 fulfill Social Sciences Gen-Ed requirements
MAN3025, MAR3023, and BUL4310 fulfill business minor requirements
ENT3003 is required for the Entrepreneurship minor
Choose 6 or 9 Credits of the following:
- British Life and Business (3 credits)
- International Internship Course/Seminar (3 credits)
- FIE courses (3 credits)
- Students are encouraged to take an additional FIE course, up to 9 credits
Find FIE courses on their London Semester Course Listing page.
Estimated Program Fee
- $13,710: Summer '15
- $15,660: Fall '14
- $16,075: Spring '14
Program cost includes tuition, orientations, housing, international health insurance, London Underground passes for Zones 1 & 2, 24-hour emergency support, welcome reception and evening theatre excursion, and UFIC application fee. Some courses, such as Contemporary British Theatre, require additional fees.
UF Students may apply Bright Futures (excluding summer semesters), Prepaid, and other scholarships toward program expenses. FIE has also has a scholarship program available to fall/spring study abroad students. Non-Florida residents pay the same program fee as Florida residents.
Other Estimated Expenses:
- Meals: $2000**
- Books and Supplies: $350
- Passport: $135
- Visa: $425
- Airfare: $1200**
- Personal Expenses: $3000**
** Expenses vary depending on student preferences
The currency in England is the Pound.
Internship opportunities are available in the following disciplines:
- Accounting and Finance
- Business and Consulting
- Information Technology and Multimedia
- Marketing, Advertising and PR
Check out FIE's London Internship Preparation page for more information.
Students will live in any of the four FIE residence halls, Metrogate, Manson Place, Hyde Park or Queen’s Gate. Housing is included in the cost of the program. Find out more at FIE's Housing in London page.
Outside the Classroom
Want to go to the theatre, volunteer, attend a rugby match, or hang out with British citizens and other international students? FIE has you covered! You can get involved in all kinds of exciting events, trips and clubs during your time in London. Here are a few links to get you started:
- Summer: March 1
- Fall: May 1
- Spring: October 1
Program applications are located on the UF International Center website. Students are not accepted into the program until they submit their application and deposit to the UF International Center. Please note that the program operates on a first-come-first-serve basis and may reach full capacity prior to the application deadline.
Terms of Agreement
Students assume full responsibility for the cost of the program by the following dates:
- Fall: July 1
- Spring: November 1
- Summer: April 1
Students on the participant list as of these dates become financially obligated. Only in extreme circumstances (e.g., serious personal injury, family emergency, etc.) will a student be allowed to petition to remove him/herself from the list of participants prior to the start of the program. Petitions will be reviewed by the Director of the School of Business.
View application instructions or call 273.0165 to arrange an appointment with a study abroad advisor.
Heavener School of Business
133 Bryan Hall, PO Box 117160
Gainesville, Florida, 32611-7160
Email Joe Rojo (joe.rojo at warrington.ufl.edu)
Email Lucy DiLeo (lucy.dileo at warrington.ufl.edu)
Email Jason Ward (jason.ward at warrington.ufl.edu)