The Heavener Leadership Challenge
The Heavener Leadership Challenge (HLC) is an elite leadership development opportunity for sophomore, junior, and transfer students in the Warrington College of Business Administration. The HLC builds a strong foundation of leadership development based upon the best-selling business leadership book The Student Leadership Challenge by Jim Kouzes and Barry Posner. Selection for this program is limited to the top 50 applicants each semester.
The Five Exemplary Practices of Leadership
The Heavener Leadership Challenge is built upon students developing and understanding how they perform at their personal best and particularly how they practice the Five Exemplary Practices of Leadership:
- Model the Way
- Inspire a Shared Vision
- Challenge the Process
- Enable Others to Act
- Encourage the Heart
There are two aspects of the HLC application:
- Application & essay questions
- Group Interview & Individual Interview
Summer 2015 Class Information:
Applications are due April 10, 2015 by 12:00 noon.
Fall 2015 Class Information:
Applications are due March 13, 2015 by 12:00 noon.
Throughout the course of the semester, participants will work together on different projects as well as complete their own personal capstone project before graduating from the HLC program at the end of the semester. Here is a brief overview of the program:
- 10 week program – meets weekly on Wednesdays from 5:00 – 6:30 in Heavener 160 (Alcorn Center)
- Overnight kick-off retreat
- Develop a personal capstone project advancing yourself or a student organization
- Personally grow and understand your leadership capabilities
- Practice proven business leadership methods for success
- Present Capstone Experience at the Graduation Retreat at Lake Wauberg