Career & Academic Peer Mentors
CAP Mentor Services
Find An Internship
Ready to find an internship? Plan on meeting with a CAP mentor two or three times a semester to acquire the latest career development tools to land your ideal internship.
Get started now. Use the Meet the Mentor page to locate a mentor who has completed an internship or is a member of a student organization of similar interest to you. Begin your mentoring experience with "The CAP Advantage" roadmap, a guide to achieving your internship potential. Email a CAP and start meeting with him or her; it's that easy. Below are some sample questions CAP mentors can assist you with.
Most business majors meet with their CAP mentor at least two or three times each term to increase their professionalism in anticipation of acquiring a great internship. Regardless of your classification, any business majors can meet with a mentor of their choice to receive professional assistance with the following services:
Internship Acquisition Strategies
- How do I find an internship in my interest area of X, field Y, or within industry Z?
- What resources should I utilize to find an internship in my major?
- How can I obtain an internships oversees? What if I want to work in a different state?
- Where do I find local internships around Gainesville?
Resume & Cover Letters
- What do recruiters want to see on a resume? Does my formatting really matter?
- How can I avoid looking bad and avoid making mistakes on a cover letter?
- In what ways can I highlight my strengths and market my experiences to better meet an employer's needs?
LinkedIn Profile Optimization
- Why should I make a LinkedIn profile? Do recruiters really use this?
- How do I network using LinkedIn? I heard this is a great source to meet professionals.
- How can I make my profile standout? What are the most important areas to emphasize?
- Is it bad if I don't join any LinkedIn groups?
Career Commercial and Recruiter Elevator Pitch
- How long should my elevator pitch last? What components should I include?
- I always get nervous talking to recruiters, how can I minimize my nerves while talking to them?
- What is the most important thing to include in a career commercial?
- Career Showcase is coming up, can you help me practice?
- What are some of the most common interview questions?
- What is the dumbest thing you have done in an interview? What is the best thing you have done in an interview?
- Can you provide me a mock interview and critique my performance?
- What's the difference between behavioral and technical interview questions?
Leadership Positions on Campus
- How did you go about obtaining a leadership position? How did this help you acquire an internship?
- Can I practice my upcoming interview for position A in organization B with you?