Joelen K. Merkel«more alumni
Joelen K. Merkel, CPA, Corporate Executive
UF Alumna 1973
- 1973: BSBA in Accounting with honors, UF
- 1973: Began career at Arthur Andersen
- 1976: Assistant Corporate Controller, Chris-Craft Industries, Inc.
- 1980: Appointed Treasurer of Chris-Craft
- 1991: Promoted to Vice President & Treasurer of Chris-Craft
- 1992: Elected to the Board of Directors of BHC Communications, Inc., an American Stock Exchange company
- 1999: Promoted to Senior Vice President & Treasurer of Chris-Craft
- 2001: Consultant, News Corp & Fox TV
- 2001: UF Board of Trustees
- 2004: Joelen K. & Robert G. Merkel Conference Room is dedicated
- 2004: Keynote Speaker, Warrington College of Business May Graduation
- 2007: Member, FAMU Task Force
- 2008: Keynote Speaker, Fisher School of Accounting's 1st Women's Symposium
“Work hard, work honestly and bring pride to UF”
Joelen K. Merkel began her education and career in accounting at a time when there were no female professors and very few female professional staff at the Big 8 accounting firms. Her professional successes have set an example not only for women in accounting, but for all accounting professionals. She has worked hard and honestly and has brought pride to UF and the Accounting profession.
The Early Years...
Mrs. Merkel graduated with honors from the University of Florida with a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting in 1973.
CPA, Businesswoman, Leader...
Her career began at Arthur Andersen & Co. in Miami where she worked as a CPA for three years. In 1976, she took a position as Assistant Corporate Controller with Chris-Craft Industries, Inc., a New York Stock Exchange company, moving from public accounting to industry and starting her 25-year career at that company.
In this time, Mrs. Merkel reached the position of Senior Vice President and Treasurer of Chris-Craft, and also Senior Vice President, Treasurer and a Director of BHC Communications, Inc., an American Stock Exchange company, majority owned by Chris-Craft, until 2001. At that time Chris-Craft was acquired by News Corporation and Fox Television Stations and Mrs. Merkel served as a consultant for them for five years.
In June 2001 she was appointed by the Governor to the University of Florida's inaugural Board of Trustees where she serves as chair of the Board's Audit and Operations Review committee. She is a member of the Board of Directors of the UF Foundation, serving on the Finance Committee and she is a member of the Board of Directors of the UF Research Foundation, serving on the Audit Committee. Additionally, she is a member of the Advisory Council for the University of Florida's Fisher School of Accounting and is a member of the Warrington College of Business Advisory Council. Joelen is also chair of the Audit Committee of the Norton Art Museum in West Palm Beach. In May, 2004, Joelen was the keynote speaker for the Warrington College of Business graduation. In 2007, the Board of Governors chair appointed her to the Task Force on FAMU Finance and Operational Control Issues. In 2008, Mrs. Merkel was the keynote speaker at the Fisher School of Accounting's first Women in Accounting Symposium.
Joelen and her husband, Bob, also a Florida alumnus, are members of the Bull Gator Club. The Fisher School of Accounting dedicated the Joelen K. and Robert G. Merkel Conference Room in Gerson Hall in April, 2004 in their honor. Their son, Ryan, graduated cum laude from the Warrington College of Business in 2008.